OS X Memory Usage

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by wndzr, Oct 18, 2013.

1. wndzr macrumors newbie

I have a little App on my Macs called 'Memory Clean' that shows the current memory usage and at the moment I seem to be averaging about 2.5GB free despite having very few Apps open.

I've had a look in the Activity Monitor and that too says I only have about 2.5GB memory free for use. I've exported the list of applications in Activity Monitor into Excel and added them all up - the total usage of the list of Apps is equal to about 2.3GB.

So, with this in mind, considering Activity Monitor says I have used 5.5GB of my memory, where is the rest of it and what is it doing?!

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As you've discovered, you already have Activity Monitor, which displays detailed information, so you don't need the third-party app.
    Here's Apple's Support page about the types of memory shown in AM:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342
    The BLue bit is Inactive Memory, which holds data that might be reused or might be released as free memory, depending upon what you do.

Do you actually have a problem? Are you seeing spinning wheels, slow downs, or other inefficient behaviour? If not, then you have nothing to worry about, and you should stop managing memory. :p

RAM is there to be used. OS X makes use of the available RAM. RAM does not need to be used sparingly. Apps that claim to "clean" your memory are a scam, if you've paid for them.