OS X Messages: Send as SMS to someone that has a device with iMessage?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RusselProuse34, Jan 2, 2015.

1. RusselProuse34, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

RusselProuse34 macrumors newbie

I seem to have discovered a rather unique problem. One of my friends has an Android phone and an iPad Air 2, with iMessage activated. On my own iPad and iPhone, Messages separates the iMessage and SMS conversations into two separate conversations. This is useful, as it allows me to choose which device to send a message to. However, in Messages on OS X, both the iMessages and SMS messages are combined into one conversation, and any message I send automatically sends as an iMessage. What I would like to be able to do is either a) choose which form of message I want to send to my friend by default (either iMessage or SMS), or b) have Messages on OS X separate the SMS and iMessage conversations into two separate streams, like it does on my iPhone and iPad (this would be ideal). Does anybody know if this is possible?

My devices are an early 2011 MacBook Pro on OS X 10.10.1, an iPhone 5 on iOS 8.1.2, and an iPad Air 2 also on iOS 8.1.2. SMS relay is configured from my iPhone to my iPad and Mac, and has been working fine to both since the feature launched.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. kolax macrumors G3

On your Mac, open the Messages app and where it lists their name in the message window at the top, click on the down arrow and select their phone number instead.

Or, you could set to two contacts for that person, one for iMessage and one for SMS.