OS X migration question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bokdol, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

ok so i need some help.

i am migrate a user from a macbook core2duo to a macbook pro coreduo.

so everything seems all good and stuff but when it's all done. i end up with nothing in his account.

it looks a like a brand new user account. standard icons in dock. i have repaired permissions on both machines. and i have tried to migrate a couple of time both resulting in the same. any one have any ideas? oh and the etra applications did copy over. and his user name copied over too. just no files.

thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I had something similar happen a couple years ago, where my account didn't actually bring any of my files over while my wife's did. Seemed to be caused by something funky I'd done in the setup (I had some pretty crazy customizations done, and I hadn't cleaned out my Library folder since 10.0.0).

I don't have any suggestion of how to get around it other than just manually copying the library, documents, etc folders over to the new, empty user with the correct name. You may need to fiddle with permissions a little, but it should work.

3. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I have never used migration. Does it transfer all the icons in the dock and all my playlistin itunes??

4. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i have done many migrations. it is a very nice way to upgrade to a new machine. basiclly everything transfers. inlcuding any installed apps. even your background is the same. all your installed apps are transfered. everything. it is a great feature.

5. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yeah i was hoping to avoid that. oh well