OS X Mouse Acceleration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Peach55, May 6, 2008.

1. Peach55 macrumors newbie

I've switched to Mac fairly recently. I switched from primarily running Linux and Windows for the few things Linux can't run. Now I've just got a Mac at home, and used that for about 6 months. But I still get very frustrated by the mouse acceleration differences between Linux and OSX. I don't think the OSX curve is bad, just different, I've used linux for a long time, and the mouse feels like part of my body, I have tried (6 months), but I just can't adjust.

I really can't quite figure out exactly what's different. I thought windows had no acceleration, so I bought Steermouse, and while better, I still can't get it to feel the same. I don't have a problem with Linux to Windows since they feel almost the same to me, but every time I use my Mac it just feels strange, I still can't get used to it. Maybe because I switch between computers at home and work so often.

I've tried buying a Microsoft mouse, and my newest is a Logitech MX Revolution on the suggestion of a friend. They feel about the same. I bought them just to try to fix the problem, and I just can't get it to feel right to me!

Any settings for Steermouse that people have found work well? I've tried no accel, and just a little accel, but it just doesn't seem right. Any mouse that anyones used that seems to be better? Would USB Overdrive work better, I've tried the trial, but streermouse seemed to feel a little better so I got that. I love the Mac, and I'm fine buying something else, if there is anything out there that will do what I need. Any other software anyone has used?

Thanks

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/index.html

This software allows you to alter the mouse acceleration to "Redmond switcher acceleration," which I'm assuming will match the Windows style of mouse acceleration.

I know nothing of its compatibility on newer hardware, or on 10.5, (my only experience with this software was on an old 12" powerbook to add sidescrolling, and that was great.)

Try this and let me know how it goes!

edit- if you follow the link, the screenshot showing the redmond switcher acceleration is the last one, bottom right.
    AND you dont mention what type of mac you have. I don't know if this works on desktop macs!