OS X naming

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well since the current version of OS X is called Tiger and the next rendition is to be called Leopard why don't we refer to the dev version of Leopard as OS X Liger?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Because we all know Liger is a cross between a lion and a tiger, not a leopard.:p

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Apple lying and cheating?

My question is what's next after Leopard?

If they stick with the names of the "Great Cats" the only one left is Lion (not exactly a snappy name for an OS), which has the same unfortunate overtones as the next most popular cat name Cheetah. :eek:

Leopard seems likely to be the very last of the "named after animals" OS releases from Apple.
    (thank heavens)

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Apple has 2 more copy righted Lynx and Cougar I think....and of course Lion...so thats .7,.8, .9

And then we can move to OS 11

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

OS 11?

Holy crap i want a time machine! And not the one thats comes with Leopard. That only goes back in time:p

8. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I dunno.

First none of these are from the "great cats" family, they are just American names for cats that are called something else elsewhere. If they are going to go that way, they might as well just make stuff up.

Secondly, "Cougar" has it's own (unfortunate) alternative meaning, and "Lion" is too close to "Lying" as I intimated earlier.

Maybe "Lynx" would be okay, as it has an X in it and sounds cool. A Lynx is more widely known as a "Bobcat" though isn't it? And that doesn't sound sexy at all.

If I was Apple I would stop with the silly cats ASAP and switch to scientific, futuristic names like Proton, Neutron, et al. I always thought it was funny that the best OS in the world should come in a leopard print box.

I mean, has there ever been *any* product covered with animal print that *isn't* tacky?

9. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

The cat names are distinctive, and we have thousands left! OS X Tabby, OS X Siamese, OS X Tortoiseshell...

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I had this conversation with someone else and one pretty cool idea that came out of it was naming the OS after birds of prey.

Mac OS X Hawk, Harrier, Falcon, Eagle, would all be quite cool.

11. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I really love the big cats theme that Apple has going for them, though I can only imagine that the names would start getting silly as time goes on.

I'd like to see them do something other than an animal theme OS 11.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do we really, really need yet another thread requesting that OS X be named Liger next? Haven't you frackers broken your copies of that movie from watching it too many times, yet? :eek: ;)

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No...those are names of cat, which is very different then Apple making them up

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/10/where-os-x-big-cat-code-names-really-come-from/

Clearly thats where Apple gets the cat names...and Lion and Lynx are the last two that the Clone maker used, and Apple has not yet.(You'll be happy to know the clone make isn't from the US, but from England!)

Also in that article, it states Apple has Lynx and Cougar copyrighted.

Apple is not going to call one BobCat because that the Cougar's "real" name...and Lion does not sound like 'lying'..people are going to know about Apple big cat theme.

As for Cougar, that other meaning is not very popular...assuming Urban Dictionary has the meaning your talking about. And since Apple also ready copyrighted it, it means they are atleast thinking about using it.

14. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

Thank you for making sense.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

A bit OT but that is very cool app that makes Tiger look like Leopard, transparent menu bar, backgrounds everything! Needs Shapeshifter though. Get it here!

And, no im not the developer I just think its cool software :cool: