OS X new 'other' account?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by demitelescope, Feb 15, 2016.

1. demitelescope macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I downloaded something but quickly deleted it because I saw that random apps were being opened and closed and whatnot, and downloaded and antivirus just in case. Now, there's an "other" user in my login and my Root User is disabled and I haven't set up my iCloud. Is there any way I can disable (not hide) this user? I might also take my laptop to the shop if I have to. Thank you in advance.

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors member

BLUEDOG314

Try going to the root Users folder and let me know what you see there. Command+Shift+G and type /Users and hit enter. Do you see other home folders there? If so, open directory utility, click the lock and put in your password, then click directory editor and find the users in the list on the left that match the suspect home folders you just found and remove them, restart the computer and see if its still an issue. I am curious if this works because a friend asked me about basically the same thing but he did a bad job of describing the situation.

3. demitelescope thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no home folders there, it's just my user and another folder, empty, called 'Shared'. But thank you for your help.

4. BLUEDOG314 macrumors member

BLUEDOG314

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You do need to verify that the root user (which would make Other show in the login window) is still not enabled.
    The Root account folder would NOT be in the Users folder anyway, as it is a special account.

Go to your Directory Utility. Quickest method is to go to the /System/Library/CoreServices, then the Applications folder. In older OS X versions, it will just be in the CoreServices folder.

Open Directory Utility, then click the padlock to unlock that utility.
    Go to the Edit menu. You SHOULD see "Enable Root User", which means that the root user is NOT enabled.
    If you see "Disable Root User", then despite your opinion, the root user IS enabled, and you can click on that item "Disable Root User" to stop access through that means.
    Quit Directory Utility.
    I like to restart my Mac after changing the root user status, and I recommend that you do that if you had to disable root.
    That will also get rid of that "Other" account on the login screen.

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Out of curiosity, what did you download? I understand completely if you don't want to divulge, but I'm definitely curious. Or maybe it wasn't the what but the where from? :p

7. demitelescope thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply, but it was actually a malware but I backed up my computer and brought it to the shop. Thank you all for your help, though!