OS X News app like iOS

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ccrgt, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ccrgt macrumors regular

I am a relatively new mac owner (have a 2011 MBA 11 inch) but have been an iOS user for many years. I really like the new Apple News app on my iPad/iPhone, in particular I like the way I can choose the news pages I read. Is there an equivalent app on OS X? I have downloaded a few like Leaf but can't really work out how to manually set up news pages I want to read and the format is very different to the iOS app... sorry for newbie lack of knowledge here

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not seen an app like the iOS News app, but I think you are on the right track there with an RSS reader. That is what I use.

I use a free Feedly RSS account to set everything up and discover feeds, then sync Feedly to the OS X RSS app ReadKit (tried and did not like Leaf). I sync the same Feedly RSS feed to the iOS app Newsify.

If you want something that does not use RSS, you can setup all the same feeds in iOS Flipboard then use the Clipboard web site on OS X to sync and read the same feeds. I much prefer the RSS method though.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

My RSS reader is Vienna. It's an "older" style of OSX app, though.