OS X Not Reading Windows CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Melrose, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have Fusion installed on my Mac, and it's all updated and runs fine, and I'm trying to install a program off a Windows-only CD.

The problem is the drive in my Mac doesn't seem to accept it. It just ticks a few times and spits the CD back out. Is there a way around this? I've already been high and low on the VMWare site and it appears the virtual machine is communicating with the CD drive just fine.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks ahead :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried it in a Windows machine to see if it works?
    Just need to rule out if it is a bad CD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

4. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

The CD loads absolutely fine in my Dell (running XP SP2 as well).

ewilson6 I'd consider that, except it reads and writes music CDs and blanks just fine. I'll give it a shot anyway.

It's mildly irritating I can't get it to work.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's pretty odd
    What did the VMware forums say?
    Have they seen the problem?

I am assuming you have checked all the settings and made sure you have it set to read the DVD drive from the Windows side

Have you tried another Windows CD to see if it will read that?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

1) Make sure Fusion is running
    2) On the Fusion window, look at the lower left corner.
    3) Verify that the little CD icon of the OSX Fusion Window is NOT gray
    4) Now insert CD.

See if that fixes the problem; the CD Rom drive is most likely used by OSX right now, not Windows.

7. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

MacDawg I haven't tried other Windows CDs.. D'oh me I should have thought to try that out. I'll give that a try and see if it's the same. I have been to their forums [yet] but poked around in their troubleshooting.

CeylonGlitch It is nice and black, which is weird since it should mean it's being read fine, right? I thought so, anyway..

8. Melrose thread starter Suspended

Melrose

...so it will read other Windows CDs. My Dell reads the disc fine. Weird.

--

EDIT: So after much poking around I lit on something that (I thought would) resolve it - apparently, it's a common problem for virtual machine CD drive registry keys to be corrupted, somehow. It still didn't work with me, because the registry key is evidently missing certain components.

Nonetheless, if anyone else is having trouble, here's the link to a solution that has worked for many other with the same (or similar) problem: MS Support..

9. MMore2G0 macrumors newbie

Cleaning Drive with Compressed Air

I have been looking for a drive fix also. My drive would not read or except Windows created CDs. I eventually found a thread which suggested cleaning the drive with a Disc drive cleaner or compressed air. I tried the compressed air and now my drive works. Reads my windows CD with no issues after the first cleaning. Simple fix but it worked for me.