os x not responding. help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeyondMountains, Mar 9, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

Have a new mac pro and never had this happen to me before.
    All i can move is the pointer, which had a little black/white ball next to it.. not the beach ball but now all i see is the pointer and the windows that were open.

I tired command/optionl/esc and command/contro/q

Anyway to get out of this? Or do I have to hard reset it by pressing the power button?

i went with the hard reset
    rebooting took longer than normal. what should i run to see if there are any problems?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Take a look at your Console, in Utilities. That may reveal what was going wrong.

3. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

As to running somethin, you can try repairing permissions it can't hurt afterall.

Reason, rebooting took longer then normal, is (i cant confirm this, it's just something I think) when the computer hard resets or goes off unexpectedly. Then at the white Apple screen you will get the spinning gear, while htat spinning gear is there i THINK the computer is either checking to see if anything was damaged, or doing some sort of maintenance. All I know for sure is, OS X is a brilliant OS and for the most part can/will take care of itself.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Ever since I've been running leopard, I have had UI lockups fairly often - at least once a week. What I have found is the OS has not locked up, just the UI, so I will ssh into the box from another computer and do a "sudo reboot".

I've tried a little to try to find a process that is the culprit, but haven't found it yet.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In Leopard versions prior to 10.5.2 I've had SystemUIServer lock up on me. Fortunately, fixing this just requires quitting the process and restarting the computer - but it always comes back.