OS X often accessing external hard disk

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by desertman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I have a 2 TB external hard drive with two partitions - one for storing some files, one for a once-a-day backup of my internal startup hard disk with Carbon Copy Cloner. I notice since a long time that very often when I want to do something on my Mac - like opening an application like EasyFind that I have in my Applications folder, or simply trying to open a file - this external hard drive wants to come to live. I hear it start spinning, I see the light blinking.

This process might take up to 10 seconds and during this time my computer is basically stalling. I cannot go on with what I am doing, I have to wait until the external hard drive stops again with its activity.

I have two other external hard drives - one with a Time Machine backup, one with a fresh installation of OS X 10.11. These hard drives never become active unless they are actually being used. It is only this one particular 2 TB hard drive that is doing this (and slowing me down).

Does anybody know or have an idea what might be causing this odd behavior and how I can prevent it?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Has this problem drive been excluded from your Spotlight index?
    Under 'System Preferences-Spotlight-Privacy'

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, not excluded. None of my six additional drives and/or partitions are excluded.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

The reason I ask is because when you try to open an app like Easyfind there is a chance you are opening the copy located on your CCC clone which could account for the disk activity.