OS X on Dell Inspiron 1525?!?!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by huhwtfisthis?, Aug 19, 2008.

1. huhwtfisthis? macrumors member

huhwtfisthis?

My friend recently read a review for the Dell Inspiron 1525 because he is considering buying one, and the page said that the new Dell will be able to run Mac OS X?!?!
    Is this true or is the person who wrote the review full of sh*t?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Full of ****.

It's not true until Apple and Dell announce it.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It probably meant you could hack the OS to install it on there, not that you could buy it from Dell pre-installed.

5. macdot macrumors 6502

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh it's possible but it's buggy, unreliable and tbh about as pointless as a catflap on a submarine.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If you want OS X, buy a Mac, simple as.

We don't discuss illegal activities on here, and needless to say OS X may run on this machine, however you have no guarantee that updates will work, neither I suspect will future versions of OS X as I'm sure Apple is cracking down on this.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

It's not necessarily illegal if the user pays for the software, and last time I checked nobody really cares about Hackintosh talk on MR. Some people can't afford a Mac, but the still want the experience, I say more power too them.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yes can it be done, although it's very much a grey area within the mac community, some people see OSX86 as a way apple could overtake microsoft, where as some see it as a illegal act that shouldn't be discussed on here.

Look up the insanely mac forums, they have a wealth of knowledge and tallent that can help you.

10. makeluv247 macrumors newbie

It Works!!

For starters, all those who put down the ones who go for hackintosh, remove your heads from your collective rear end. Many Macbook components are Asus as it is, look it up!

And the 1525 works almost perfectly with OSx86. I don't have one myself, can't afford one at the moment (let alone an actual Mac), but look on:

http://www.espressoreport.com/83/dell-inspiron-1525-hackbook-pro-tutorial/

...for a complete guide on how to do it.

Good luck to your friend!

11. batteryfast macrumors newbie

You've made an excellent choice. My wife got a 1525 almost precisely two months ago and it's a really good notebook. If I had to buy one for myself right now, I'd go for the exact same model. I got a dell Inspiron 1525 Battery which can last more than 3 hours.