Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I'd like to setup up XP on the internal drive and OS-X on a external firewire drive. Is that possible, any suggestions on getting started?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
JayMak said:
I'd like to setup up XP on the internal drive and OS-X on a external firewire drive. Is that possible, any suggestions on getting started?

Got to ask why you would want to do this? (as it may effect what you're trying to do).

greatdevourer said:
:eek: Nooo! iGary! iGary! You're needed here now to cleanse this soul! :eek:

I'm waiting to see those people who just want the Apple hardware, but still only want to use Windows. :)

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
:)

Why... To use the Mac Mini as a MCE 2005 box its just the perfect size, but the HD is rather limited, and I'd rather just install XP MCE on the internal drive, and dabble in OS-X on the external drive.

I think I can just boot from the XP and install MCE to the internal drive, but am wondering if I'll be able to install OS-X on an external firewire drive?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
JayMak said:
:)

Why... To use the Mac Mini as a MCE 2005 box its just the perfect size, but the HD is rather limited, and I'd rather just install XP MCE on the internal drive, and dabble in OS-X on the external drive.

I think I can just boot from the XP and install MCE to the internal drive, but am wondering if I'll be able to install OS-X on an external firewire drive?

Any reason for it to be MCE? Won't Frontrow do the job?

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
All my HTPC apps are for XP, be it Zoomplayer for video, FFDshow to enhance video, games, emulators, etc.

What I really have wanted for some time was very small silent PC to use MCE and my apps on the the mini fits those needs perfectly.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Danksi said:
Any reason for it to be MCE? Won't Frontrow do the job?
Maybe (the reason spent the extra time downloading MCE instead of mere Pro), he want's to use it to stream to an XBox 360 in another room?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
greatdevourer said:
Maybe (the reason spent the extra time downloading MCE instead of mere Pro), he want's to use it to stream to an XBox 360 in another room?

Yep, but still worth double-checking.

JayMak said:
What I really have wanted for some time was very small silent PC to use MCE and my apps on the the mini fits those needs perfectly.

There are a couple of Mini-PC companies out there (Google) perhaps you should check them out, before spending money on a Mini, only to rip the best bits out (i.e. OSX) - unless your 'dabbling in OSX' eventually means you want to switch back. :)

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
I don't think so, er...Apple doesn't:

Apple said:
Here
# What you’ll need

* Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 (check Software Update)
* The latest Firmware update (check Support Downloads)
* 10GB free hard disk space
* An Intel-based Mac
* A blank recordable CD
* A printer for the instructions (You’ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
* A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

Unless you're planning your own hack.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
cyberddot said:
Unless you're planning your own hack.
Check out various posts here. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/191751/

The "hack" is quite simple, copy the contents of both MCE disks to the hard drive and edit a text file, then burn the whole shebang to a DVD blank. I did something similar last night to install from my XP Home SP2 Upgrade disk.

Or stick CD #2 in an external USB optical drive.

The big question for MCE is whether Apple's drivers are appropriate.

B

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Yah, I guess I'm cutting to the chase that it's not likely that the installation will work the way things currently stand. Thanks for providing the "place to start" that the OP was looking for though. ;) Maybe he can tell us how it went.

My cold isn't helping me with my efforts to dig up answers for the those less inclined to use Search at the moment. :(

EDIT: And I see from #39 in that thread that is does work for an installation on the internal, which addresses one part of the OP's question.

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Yes, I have MCE 2005 running now via Boot Camp's dual boot.

I posted a quick 'How To' last night, no editing was needed just an external optical or HD...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/192355/

The Apple drivers installed without issue, MCE is just a subset of XP Pro with the media center application added.

I'd like now to attempt to install MCE fully on the internal HD, and then OS-X on an external firewire drive.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
JayMak said:
Yes, I have MCE 2005 running now via Boot Camp's dual boot.

I posted a quick 'How To' last night, no editing was needed just an external optical or HD...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/192355/

The Apple drivers installed without issue, MCE is just a subset of XP Pro with the media center application added.

I'd like now to attempt to install MCE fully on the internal HD, and then OS-X on an external firewire drive.

Which is why I dropped the term hack, since I'm reading your request to mean no Apple OS on the internal? :confused:

You can boot 10.4 from an external FW-HD if you install it on the drive (or use CarbonCopyCloner?), but I haven't done it.

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Just an update...

OS-X installs without issue on an external firewire drive. Afterwards I was able to use the boot selector to select either the external OSX install, the internal one, or XP, or a CD to boot from.

Will try to install XP next on the internal drive on its own...

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Kingsly said:
I don't understand... Why don't you just partition the drive in half? Why do you need the full amount for XP? Can't you use the ext. drive for storage for XP?
Pleassse, don't kill a poor innocent MacMini. :eek:

Funny! I'll be gentle on the Mini dont you worry.

The plan was to have XP use the full 80 Gigs of the internal drive, its going to be a HTPC, and I want to put our photos, music, home videos on the internal drive so I don't need other networked PCs or external drives running. Just keep it simple for all to use with the MCE remote.

I did test an OS-X install on an external drive and it worked without any problems.

I have to admit I've been tinkering with OS-X and its peaking my interest too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.