OS X on HP Pavilion laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by siege911, Jan 17, 2008.

1. siege911 macrumors newbie

I got a copy of Photoshop that was given to me that is for the Mac. I've been wanting to try Mac OS X out anyways but this gives me a final reason to move over. The issue is the price. I'd like to keep under or around $1000. I found an HP Pavilion dv2700t for about $800 with Vista on it. I was thinking about dual booting Vista and OS X Leopard so I don't have to lose all of my PC applications. That's $750 for the PC and $129 for OS X. Well within my budget. My biggest question is "Will it work?" Am I going to run into major issues or can I get away with this?

If it's huge issues, then is it possible to dual boot Windows XP and OS X on a Macbook? I still need Windows for all my Windows apps, but I'm worried about a $1000+ Macbook plus $200ish for Windows breaking my budget so I'd much rather go with the HP solution.

Will both give me relentless headaches? Which one is worse?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its against the EULA to put OS X on anything other than a Mac. you can dual boot into windows on Macs though without a problem. so that would be your best route.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

OSX will not run on a PC. hacks are possible, but probably not that legal

its possible to dual boot XP and OSX on a macbook. but I have reservation about the quality of apple's bootcamp.

VM is another option, but more expensive, and from my reading, XP should be your main system.

My suggestion? stick to your pc, no need to spend 1200+ just to try mac version of photoshop, which is no difference than windows version.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not to mention pretty tricky.

5. Action Bastard macrumors newbie

Action Bastard

If you're on a budget you can always get a mac mini for $599 ;)

6. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I believe it was OS X that he was wanting to try, and the Mac version of Photoshop was just a catalyst.

Unless you have to have a laptop, I'd say a Mac Mini would be a good suggestion.