All iPads OS X on new iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Sep 16, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

What is the probability of this happening? Personally, I think it'd be very awesome if ipads were running OS X instead of IOS..

2. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not a chance. iPads don't have the horsepower to run OS X.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You didn't mention a timeframe. As other posters have said - today and near future: its not going to happen. But beyond that - who knows where the iPad and notebook computers will go, if there will be convergence/ more divergence or if they will get subsumed by something else.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nope, no way, not interested. The one thing I love about apple is that they keep the OS separate for the devices versus the laptops and desktops. That's how it SHOULD be. This concept of shoving everything into one OS and running it on all devices is irritating to me.

Leave iOS alone and leave OS alone. Don't mix them up.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OS X was designed to be used with keyboard and mouse.
    iOS was designed to be used with a touchscreen.

I can see no logical reason why an iPad would benefit from running OS X. It would ruin the device.

There are possibilities that an OS X iPad would be useful if it was connected to a keyboard and mouse, or if it was used as the "input device" for a second, larger external monitor, however these would not be common scenarios that would add anything useful to the vast majority of iPad users.

If you want to use OS X, buy the hardware that was designed to run it, and that it was designed to run on. Buy a Mac.

7. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

Ask Microsoft how well the Win 8 tablets are selling.

I don't think a strong consumer demand exists for a desktop class OS on a tablet.

I don't expect to see Apple pioneer this type of development.

Microsoft is going to have to really up their game and deliver a holistic product (hardware + OS + ecosystem with relevant software) that provides a good user experience.

Unfortunately, I expect Microsoft is going to continue to muddle around, like they did with the original WinXP tablets, and with UMPC, and now with Win 8 tablets. Great hardware, OS that is half-baked, and a complete lack of applications that are written for use on a tablet. I had a Everun UMPC in 2008-2009, a great portable tablet with no useable applications.

And as long as microsoft continues screwing the pooch, Apple will continue producing iOS devices and laughing their way to the bank.

Would I buy one? If Apple produced one, yes. Not because I love OSX (which I don't, depute using a MBA to type this). I would buy it for the utility, and also because Apple actually gets that the user environment is more important then the technology.

Microsoft stops with the technology, and expects some third party will step in to develop useful applications. Which has never happened.

8. Lachhh macrumors regular

I agree with everything you've said in your post, save this. Microsoft have been trying hard to get devs to develop for Windows mobile and surface. (Often paying them on a per-application basis, regardless of how horrid the apps are.)
    They're doing it wrong with their emphasis on quantity over quality, but I wouldn't say they're "stepping back and expecting", they're actively shelling out for it and taking a big hit.

9. cnev3 macrumors 6502

What OSX features do you think would work best for the iPad?

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If iPad runs on OS X then the price for iPad skyrockets to 1,200 for 16GB, 1500 for 32GB, and 2100 for 128GB. It is not worth so NO! :apple:

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Citation please :rolleyes: