Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2015
I know you can do windows on the mac, but is it at all possible to do OS X on a windows machine. I really like machines like the dell xps 13, but despise windows.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I know you can do windows on the mac, but is it at all possible to do OS X on a windows machine. I really like machines like the dell xps 13, but despise windows.

As someone who runs Windows on an RMB I find this comment interesting.

From my experience running both, operating systems today don't count, they really don't matter. Operating systems should be stable, get out of the way, and let you get to your apps as quickly as possible. Both OSX and Windows do a good job of this. My wife jumps between Windows and OSX every two years when her company swaps her notebooks, she doesn't care as she just needs to get to Outlook, Skype, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and a browser.

For me, I prefer Windows as it's what I've used for decades and it's what my company mandates, but if I had no choice but to run OSX I could, it's just a little nasty when it comes to file management. Windows 10 is rock-solid, apparently runs better on the RMB than OSX does which is an interesting development.

BJ

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
You have two options. Either build a Hackintosh or run OSX on a virtual machine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have two options. Either build a Hackintosh or run OSX on a virtual machine.
Both of those require some level of hacking. I've done both and depending on the hardware a Hackintosh can be fairly easy to setup or a bear. I've also needed to do some funky things with Vmware Workstation to get OS X up and running on a PC as well.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
As someone who runs Windows on an RMB I find this comment interesting.

From my experience running both, operating systems today don't count, they really don't matter. Operating systems should be stable, get out of the way, and let you get to your apps as quickly as possible. Both OSX and Windows do a good job of this. My wife jumps between Windows and OSX every two years when her company swaps her notebooks, she doesn't care as she just needs to get to Outlook, Skype, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and a browser.

For me, I prefer Windows as it's what I've used for decades and it's what my company mandates, but if I had no choice but to run OSX I could, it's just a little nasty when it comes to file management. Windows 10 is rock-solid, apparently runs better on the RMB than OSX does which is an interesting development.

BJ

I completely disagree. Apps aren't the entirety of an OS. Just the way OS X works is so much better in my eyes than Windows. Windows JUST got multiple desktops with 10. Unbelievable.

Also, Windows doesn't have the Apps I love. iMovie, Garageband/Logic, Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, OpenEmu, etc. I find OS X just has better apps that are more well designed.

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Both of those require some level of hacking. I've done both and depending on the hardware a Hackintosh can be fairly easy to setup or a bear. I've also needed to do some funky things with Vmware Workstation to get OS X up and running on a PC as well.

That's true, but not hard to do at all if you've got some IT background.

Can you explain what you're referring to, please?

I think he's reffering to this: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I completely disagree. Apps aren't the entirety of an OS. Just the way OS X works is so much better in my eyes than Windows. Windows JUST got multiple desktops with 10. Unbelievable.

Also, Windows doesn't have the Apps I love. iMovie, Garageband/Logic, Pixelmator, Affinity Photo, OpenEmu, etc. I find OS X just has better apps that are more well designed.

The apps you love are Mac versions of apps available on the Windows platform as well.

It doesn't matter when Windows got multiple desktops; the point is it has them. There isn't a feature on OSX that is missing on Windows 10. Most of what you call a 'feature' of OSX is just an app to the rest of the world. Windows 10 is a very good operating system. Mainly because it just gets out of the way and lets the apps do their thing without interference, the more insignificant an operating system is the better.

BJ

Aros888

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Chicago, IL
The apps you love are Mac versions of apps available on the Windows platform as well.

It doesn't matter when Windows got multiple desktops; the point is it has them. There isn't a feature on OSX that is missing on Windows 10. Most of what you call a 'feature' of OSX is just an app to the rest of the world. Windows 10 is a very good operating system. Mainly because it just gets out of the way and lets the apps do their thing without interference, the more insignificant an operating system is the better.

BJ

I can think of a couple pretty important ones:

Firstly, and perhaps least importantly, OS-specific syncing features -- iCloud, handoff, etc. I actually use these a lot, so they're somewhat important to me. There are workarounds that exist to get similar things with Windows and iPhone, but most of them are janky and/or involves jailbreaking.

Unix style command line (much prefer it to cygwin). This is a surprisingly big deal depending on what you do with your computer.

In many ways most importantly: the ability to use XCode (natively, not under a virtual machine; that has significant drawbacks) to develop for iOS, OSX, watchOS, etc. Going the other way, it's easier to develop for windows on a windows machine (though there are much better virtual machine solutions for running windows instances on osx than vice-versa, and you can of course just install windows on a separate partition on a Mac, though that has its drawbacks as well).

It may be that none of these apply to your use case, but there are certainly pretty significant 'features' that depend on choice of operating system.

That said, both Windows 10 and OSX are excellent operating systems, and much better than versions from even a few years ago. Windows 10 on a MacBook is particularly pleasing (before El Capitan, Windows 10 also performed noticeably better than OSX on the MacBook), though I still prefer OSX for general use due largely to better trackpad gesture support and the command line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.