OS X overclock tool?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fibrizo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I just tried out Nvidia's System tools on bootcamp on my 2.26 13 MBP... I was easily able to turn the FSB up to 300mhz... Which made the ram go 1200mhz... (I have corsair ram in) and made the clock speed 2.6ghz. I also upped the 9400m's speed... The benchmark increases are actually pretty insane. I attribute it to the FSB and memory running alot faster. The utility lets you do this via soft settings that can be applied or unapplied at any time. I was wondering if there was a similar tool for mac os?

2. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I would like to know this as well. I could always go on an epic adventure to try and code for it, but I really dislike assembly programming languages... too low-level (difficult) for me (yet).

I have not found any overclocking tool that runs natively on mac os x however, the Nvidia system tools should allow you to make changes in windows (which you have done) and then restart the computer and go into osx and the changes should stay (so long as you don't shut it off).

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no there are no mac OC'ing tools. and there probably wont ever be - not for laptops anyway.

coding is hard as macs use EFI instead of BIOS, its crazy.

if you did a soft reboot after OC'ing in windows it might remember the settings. im not sure though - worth a try!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OC'ing a laptop - as if my laptop isn't hot enough. Let me just cook the innards faster :rolleyes:

5. darkdream macrumors member

what the point in running an overclocked laptop?... too many downsides higher temps, lower battery life, ect..... Just buy a desktop and overclock it... and those speeds will be many multiple times faster than a laptop can be.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i agree, but if the tools are there i dont see why i wouldnt at least give it a try and benchmark

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

he isn't asking what he should overclock

he is asking if there is a way to overclock his computer.

8. Hannify macrumors member

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was actually going to say there was an OC tool for MPs, but promptly forgot! thanks for bringing it up. that tool does not work for the latest MPs, and maybe the version before the current ones..

10. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

your going to blow up your laptop if you overclock it

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

meh only if you do it too much...

12. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

+1

13. Hannify macrumors member

Yeah, it's a shame they didn't continue to develop it or offer support for current architectures. Maybe someday...

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:)

one can only hope. its a lot harder on apples computers as they use EFI which locks the clocks of the CPU - rather annoying i know but its for a good reason.

15. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You can easily block off the user from changing the FSB with a BIOS as well. Just don't include a control for it in the first place. EFI really has little to do with all this.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, but the clocks are locked and not many people are bothering to program to allow for the overclocking in the first place. why would that be?

17. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

The people who make CoolBook should release another program obviously called HotBook to overclock and overvolt.

A Computer and grill in one? Yes please.