OS X partitioning and music programs?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Gallick, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Gallick macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm just starting out school this week, taking a course on audio engineering and production so I've been busy gathering all of the programs and such I need but I've hit a bit of a snag in my pondering that I'd love to get some info on.

A friend of mine who previously took the course, who uses an XP laptop, has his hard drive split into two separate partitions running XP Professional. On one side, he's got his personal stuff, MSN, photos, internet browser, the typical stuff. On the other side, he has turned off all network devices so that the system will never touch the internet and be completely shut off to all outside sources; he uses this partition for all of his audio programs and such in order to have a stable environment to run pretty intensive programs like Protools, Reason and Ableton simultaneously. Obviously on Windows the risk of opening up your Windows computer to the internet is much larger than the risk of doing the same on a Mac.

So my question is this: I'm running a Macbook that I plan to use such programs as those previously mentioned daily; would it be beneficial, or for that matter, necessary at all to apply the same strategy by splitting my HD into two separate OS X partitions? I like to operate audio programs from a clean slate without alot of crap bogging them down, so the idea of having a fresh partition that never touches the internet and has nothing other than the basic programs needed to run OS X installed on it is appealing.

Any opinions from the more experienced digital audio crowd?

2. Clembo1974 macrumors newbie

Hello from a newbie!

This was the exact question I was going to ask!!

I intend to move my music production from my Yamaha hard disk to my Macbook pro, but I still want to use it for itunes, photos etc. I assume you could partition the internal drive to have say 40gb for protools installation and plug ins etc and then 120gb for general "entertainment" useage.

Or

What about if I install the pro tools software on my external drive that will be used for recording. Could that be partitioned so that part is for the pro tools application and the rest for recording onto? Or is it advisable to keep the application on the internal drive for load times etc?

And how do I partition the internal hard drive!?

Sorry for high jacking your thread by the way!