OS X performance sucks with Boot Camp installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jsimon9633, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

I just recently bought a mbp and I installed boot camp and it seems that my OSX now runs horribly slow. when I restart sometimes it doesnt even boot into any OS.

I uninstalled boot camp and then everything returned to normal. My reboot times and shut down times went back to normal.

I am currently running vmware fusion instead due to crap boot camp performance.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone had similar issues and they have been able to resolve them.

Alberto

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it two different times with same results.

I have a SR 2.2 mbp.

I installed Windows XP SP2, is that what you run?

How do I troubleshoot it?

4. AstrayCliche macrumors member

With bootcamp installed, how full is your harddrive?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Yes I noticed that too. Keep in mind though Bootcamp is currently in beta. One of the things that really ticked me off was after sometime spent in my bootcamp partition when I was back in OS X the trash doesn't empty and a series of reboots only fixes it.

Hopefully when Leopard is released these problems will have been ironed out.

7. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I hope so because not only do I take a hit in performance with the windows drivers in boot camp in actual windows.

I had no clue it would affect my OSX performance. That is not a good compromise.

I hope it gets straightened out.

3d performance is not that great in windows either.

8. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

I made the partition 25gb for Windows NTFS

My OSX has about 70 gb Free

total HD space is 112GB.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nothing wrong on my MBP. runs perfectly. ive had bootcamp installed for about a year. its all working good from where i am, so yea.

10. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

The only reason that using a dual-boot configuration on your Mac using Boot Camp would affect OSX in any way is if you didn't some poor partitioning. If you left a very small (or slightly small, even) amount of free space on your OSX drive then chances are that it's going to run slow. Its no interference from Boot Camp itself, per se, but more the fact that your OSX partition is too small.

There's nothing special about having a dual-boot configuration on Apple hardware that makes the act of "using Boot Camp" slow down OSX.

Yes, I do run a dual-boot configuration with 10.4 and XP SP2 that I also frequently virtualize with VMware Fusion and I left plenty of free space on the OSX partition (because that's what I mainly use). My OSX performance is not impacted in the least.

11. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I mean I did not do anything special so I am going to have to think it might have to do with the new Santa Rosa platform as I see no other reason. The thing is less than 1 week old.

12. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

actually there is one thing that really slows down osx after installing windows: spotlight.
    I have a custom 3 partition layout: osx(hfs+), files (FAT32) and windows (NTFS).
    Everytime i reboot into osx spotlight (thats the mds process) reindexes my 2 other partitions (the fat and ntfs one) and really slows down the system speed. I fixed it by disabling the indexing the fat32 and ntfs partition with the ".metadata_never_index" trick. (notice that you have to use windows to create one on a ntfs partition)

after that spotlight will ignore the partitions and osx wont slow down after booting :D

but maybe its just the startvolume bug that is slowing down the boot speed, try to reselecting your system volume and reboot.

13. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that definitely might be it. Would this slow down how fast apps open in OSX too? I noticed a noticeable performance drop when i had Windows Installed.

Is there any preference to using FAT32 or NTFS for the boot camp windows partitiion? I am going to make it like 20gb.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The hard drive is the biggest hardware bottleneck on the computer right if the "mds" wants to go to down indexing everything is going to slow down.

I suggest NTFS unless you need write access.

If it's the 8600M GT then the drivers suck.

15. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah its the 8600M GT

Oh ok I will try installing it again with the no Indexing thing

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest Laptop Video 2 Go or Omega Drivers for better laptop drivers.

17. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use those in Boot Camp set up windows?

If I can Great!

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They provide alternative Windows drivers.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol thats a yes....;)