OS X Phising Attempt Advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Traverse, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was hoping to get some quick advice from those who know OS X security better than me.

My mother (computer illiterate) was one of the victims of the Anthem hack. She received a scam email like the one the Verge mentions in the link below. Anyway, she has a Mac Mini on 10.9.5. I was not there but she clicked on a link in the email and said she got a notice from Google Chrome "Warnig her that she wasn't alone and offering to take me back to the previous page." I assume it was Chromes Phising protection, but I wasn't there to see.

Anyway, I'm going to run a scan of her system with clamxav (from the MAS) tomorrow and I cleared her browsing data from Chrome's preferences. Is there anything else I should/need to do to ensure there's no form of compromise? Will ClamXav check for all known Trojans and key loggers?

I have her running in a Standard account and only I have the admin password so no app was downloaded or installed.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/7/7999349/anthem-health-insurance-phishing-attacks-after-massive-hack

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Her system is very likely fine. Chrome helped protect her machine. There is also no gain is security when using a separate admin and standard account on Mac OS X.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you. I know about the admin vs standard thing, but she's the kind to click and download anything (like a fake flash pop up) so I have her set to set to standard and retain the password to handle software updates and keep her from installing or changing anything.

So there are no other steps I should take?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not really, maybe change her email password. But that shouldn't be needed.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you, I appreicate the prompt assistance.