OS X Photo viewing app???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eminemdrdre00, May 10, 2008.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I feel silly asking this, but its driving me crazy! I just made the switch to OSX last month. I've used Windows for about 10 years now. I'm looking for a photo viewer application that has these 2 simple options. There may be something in the Preview preferences I have to check, but I havent been able to find it. All I want is something like Vista's photoviewer.

I want an app that lets you zoom in on a picture with the scroll wheel, and then left click and drag to pan around. Thats it. Simple enough, but I cant figure out how to get Preview to behave this way. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. reubs macrumors 68000

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Store all your photos in iPhoto, and learn to love it. :)

5. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check out iPhoto. I had planned to use iPhoto for just my digital camera picture uploads. But I'll load some of my pictures from the net in there too and give it a try!

I have used Xee. Its ok, but it doesnt allow you to zoom images with the scroll wheel. It pans around fine, but doesnt zoom :\

6. reh macrumors 6502a

JView will zoom in and out with the scroll wheel. It's not the default behavior, but you can set it in preferences. I've used JView for several years now and find it quite handy as just a plain ol' image viewer.

Attached Files:

7. Gamble macrumors member

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

most apps including iphoto and preview will allow you to scroll around the pic when holding space bar (this stems from photoshop), you can also hold alt to zoom in on a pic when you quicklook it straight from the finder or desktop (thats when you select and hit space bar to view it without opening an application)

9. reubs macrumors 68000

I might be wrong, but it looks like you can scroll the image with Xee if you set up the preferences in the right way. Check out the grab underneath the "Scroll Wheel".

I can't check it out b/c I'm on a Macbook, and I don't have a mouse hooked up.

Attached Files:

10. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Thanks I'll check it out!

Under scroll wheel I just see "Browse images and Scroll Images" nothing to zoom in or out :\

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

photos in OS X open in Preview by default so just use that. to arrow between photos select all the ones you want to view then press "command-o".

or you can view them in Quick Look, just press spacebar when youve clicked a photo. you can then arrow to the next photo.

or as you said just copy them into iPhoto.

12. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Yeah but what Im really looking for is an app that lets you view a picture, then zoom in and out by moving the scroll wheel up and down. Being able to click and pan around with the left mouse button once zoomed in would be a great plus!