OS X Photos, library size question

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ra4oasis, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

We're considering buying more iCloud storage for my wife, but ran into a question. As you can see in the attached screenshot, her library size is either 26.23 gigs... OR... 70 gigs. What gives? Photos says 26, but the actual size of the photo library according to finder is 70. So, do we need to get her 50 gigs of storage, or bump it up to 200?

Attached Files:

2. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure it's 26. The 70GB includes every thumbnail and other app info. Look at the contents of the folder and I think you'll see what I mean.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

You have 26GB of original images/videos. You have 71GB of original images & videos, edited images and videos, tags, albums, slideshows, image data, etc. In my case, I have 36+GB of photos inside Photos app and on iCloud. But my actual library file is 50GB. Your numbers seem a bit out of whack to me, but they are what they are.

I would get the 200GB iCloud tier. It'll give you room to grow, plus you can use the extra space to back up your iPhone/iPad, and other documents from your Mac.

4. ra4oasis thread starter macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

5. inkahauts macrumors regular

Also how do shared albums work with storage? I bet they are not included in info but are in finder as well.