OS X piracy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ndpitch, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ndpitch, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

ndpitch macrumors 6502

What's stopping people from taking a copy of OS X that they bought, and installing it on as many Macs as they want to? I ask because I feel I could easily upgrade my girlfriend's macbook with my copy of Lion, but I'm not sure if that's "officially" frowned upon or not. If it's okay to do it for 1 person, what about 2 people? 3 people? Where do you draw the line?

Apple doesn't issue software keys for OS X, so they seem to not care too much. But still. I dunno.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There really isn't anything to stop someone from installing OS X on multiple machines. Read the TOA - it will outline how many computers you're allowed to install a copy of OS X.

3. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Nothing stops anybody.

Apple is and always will be a hardware company, they design software to use on their hardware. They make money from the computer you bought, the software is a very small portion of what they make.

They want you to buy their software, but protecting it isn't worth the time since you already bought the hardware to run the software.

4. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

According to their latest reports, they make 70% of their money from something other than computers. :D

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Lions terms say you can install it on basically any machine in your household. Go ahead and install it as far as apple is concerned it's not piracy

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple probably makes the most from iPhone/iTunes/iPod but what I think he meant to say was Apple's Mac business, OS X isn't that big because you need to have the hardware to use the software.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Correct. That's the key point.

The classic dilemma: roommates. Currently, they live in the same household, but soon they will not. Who gets the software?

BTW, there is an exception for students. You're still a member of your family's household, until you graduate, when, hopefully, though not as much these days, you'll be creating a new household of your own.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...no, not quite correct - it's *computers you own or control* not computers in a household - there is a difference. The 10.7 License Agreement states:

Installing on your own Mac, however many *you* have, is in compliance. Installing on everyone else in the "household" that may own a Mac is not, unless you "control" their Mac (which is a bit of grey area sometimes)....oh yeah!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Wonder if Lion will refuse to update if you don't have it properly purchased via the App store?

10. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. So Apple does state in the agreement their terms. But how do they know who is following those terms? Can they really tell that the copy of Lion that I purchased and burned to a DVD and installed on my girlfriend's MacBook isn't a computer that I own and control?

I don't think they can tell? Unless they're generating a serial number for every image of Lion downloaded that end users never see, I don't know how they'd keep track of it. It seems to be more of an honors system.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Lion is no different than any other release of OS X in this respect. It's always been on the honor system, because a system that makes it more difficult for honest, reasonable people to install and use is unacceptable to Apple. I don't think they'd have any security measures if there were other good, unavoidable reasons, but they don't want to put any DRM in their OS releases because it's a hassle for honest people and easy for dishonest people to circumvent anyways.

jW

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, I guess that household thing was pre-Lion. Gotta make a memory adjustment.