Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Ok, I know this sounds really dumb but after reading an article on the internet of two malware viruses found for os x this week that asks for your firewall connections or something, I noticed that when I booted up my mac this morning it asked me to allow or deny incoming connections for fsmpm and ServerManagerDaemon.bundle. So I am wondering if this is related to the malware infections or this is just me being dumb and paranoid

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
yes, Microsoft Messenger for Mac, VLC, Handbrake, Software Update (iTunes, Safari and H.264), Skype API, couple of xcode demos but only from respected websites, Camino, and some other stuff but from like one or two weeks ago. Hope this helps

P.S
When I go into the Security Preferences Pane, then the Firewall tab it lists the two things (fsmpm and ServerManagerDaemon) in the area that shows connections and whether or not it allows it or not.

I've included a picture to help:
Picture%201.png

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
The fsmpm is for Xsan functionality. The other item is part of the Server Admin tools.

So you apparently have an Xserve/Xsan somewhere and have the admin tools installed.

Two clicks onto google and I got that info.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Ok, I know this sounds really dumb but after reading an article on the internet of two malware viruses found for os x this week that asks for your firewall connections or something, I noticed that when I booted up my mac this morning it asked me to allow or deny incoming connections for fsmpm and ServerManagerDaemon.bundle. So I am wondering if this is related to the malware infections or this is just me being dumb and paranoid
Both fsmpm and ServerManagerDaemon.bundle are Mac OS X services, so at least the names themselves gives no indication of malware, but that does not exclude the possibilty of some kind of malware that makes these services do its job. It's hard for me to say, you might be dumb and paranoid or you might not. :eek:

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
haven't heard of those two things before but the extension ".bundle" does ring a bell

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I don't think you have anything to worry about here, most of the time, you will get the malware from shady sites offering free downloads of for-sale programs and adult-oriented sites.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
thanks everyone,
I've realized that it is most likely me just being paranoid, since I only download software which is well known or respected

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.