Os X Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HorribleJed, May 6, 2008.

1. HorribleJed macrumors newbie

I was resently infested with a virus of some sort and my OS X has been corrupted on my powerbook. Is there anyway i can Reinstalled or erace the old hard drive without loading the OS? The OS dose not load and crashes and restarts over and over again... There is nothing of imporrtance in the computer so i dont mind eracing everything located in the laptop.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Put in the OSX disk, and shut down the Mac. Press C while starting up to boot off the disk.

3. HorribleJed thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tryed that but i get these text lines poping up and at the bottom it says "Panic: We are Hanging Here" and it dosent do anything... I kind of new to macs so this type of thing is a bit irritating.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try with a non-OSX disk, I recommend Ubuntu if you can get a friend to burn it for you

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

if nothing of importance is on the HD then do a clean install ?! .

just insert the install discs and select ' erase and install'

hope this helps

6. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Do you know how your computer got infected with this "virus?" There is yet to be a documented virus for OS X that renders a computer as inoperable as you describe.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Is this the OS X install disc that came with YOUR computer?

"Panic: We are hanging here" is a message you get when trying to run an Intel Tiger Install disc on a PowerPC Mac (or vice versa).

In any case, we definitely need more info: what model of Mac it is, how old, and what version of OS X you're trying to run.

EDIT: Just realized: you mention a Powerbook. This is definitely a PowerPC Mac (if you're giving us the right model). You definitely need to check your install disc and make sure it's not labeled for an Intel Mac. A store-bought OS X disc (one that did NOT come in the box of a Mac computer, but came in its own, separate shrink-wrapped box) should work, but borrowing someone else's install disc will set you up with exactly this problem.

8. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Also, the OP could be trying to install Leopard on a system it doesn't support...

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's another possibility. Though, if it's November 2002 or later (the start of the 867MHz G4 models), and meets the minimum RAM then it should technically be supported.

Also: just confirmed that ALL of the Leopard install DVDs that come with a purchased Mac are Intel-only, while a Leopard install DVD purchased by itself will work on both PowerPC and Intel machines. I have a feeling the OP is borrowing someone's Tiger or Leopard install disc, and that borrowed disc is meant for an Intel Mac.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-HorribleJed

I'm very curious as to what is going on. A spew of text over a black background ending with "Panic: We are Hanging Here" is a kernal panic - the worst type of crash you can see, and something you should never see actually. What is interesting is that presentation of a panic was on 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, and 10.2 Jaguar. Since 10.3 Panther, the panics aren't as scary looking.

So that leaves me with a few questions, much already asked by the above.

What are the specs of your machine, specifically, year, speed, HD, RAM. And What is the OS you are trying to load (10.1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

11. HorribleJed thread starter macrumors newbie

:DI was using the wrong CD for the wrong processor. Im guessing i must have baught the wrong type of CD as i was trying to upgrade and erase the old OS becouse of that virus or whatever it was. Thank you all for all your help!

12. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, whatever it was, it WASN'T a virus.... but glad you got the problem figured out :)

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-HorribleJed

I'm glad you have that angle nailed down. However, you should keep an eye on it once the proper OS is installed as you will likely tickle the original problem.

I'm concerned you have a hardware issue. As tersono said, it's not a virus.