OS X protection questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drag'nGT, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Under normal circumstances I would spend another hour or so looking for this answer but I have not found a straight forward answer to what I'm after.

I download torrent files fairly often. I'm not sure how they work but I want to be safe with my new expensive baby. :apple: I know that at the moment we (Mac owners) don't worry about viruses or malware but I would hate for that idea to become a challenge to someone out there and it catch me off guard. Especially since the torrent area has programs for mac and that to me could mean "something bad just for you mac owners" in that file I want.

So here's what I can't understand.
    * What is the difference between Antivirus software and anti malware software?
    * If they are different which one(s) run actively?
    * For torrents you only need to scan the file you download before you open it to install it, correct?

If I can get these answers I'd more than happily add them to the MR Mac basics wiki software page.

Thank you!!

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Well i to download alot of linux distributions via torrents ;) and i don't worry about that much the only protection i have for my macbook is leopards built in firewall and little snitch.
    Oh and i almost forgot i have macscan but i rarely use it.