OS X Question, Is there a way to dual boot Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrules, Oct 10, 2008.

1. macsrules macrumors regular

1. I am looking for answers not opinions why I should do this, or what is the purpose, or for that mater your opinion. Just looking for the answer to this question.

Here is what I want to be able to do.

I have three hard drives in my mac pro, I want to be able to install OS X on all three of them, that is not a problem, here is the trick.

I want to be able to switch between each hard drive operating system without re-booting my computer and changing the start-up drive.

Is there any application or mod that I can do on my computer to have all three hard drive operating systems load at the initial boot of the computer and only the one I select be active?

So that I can switch between each hard drive operating system without having to reboot my computer and setting it in the start-up system?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to need to reboot.

The closest solution I can think of is virtual OS X Server in VMWare/Parallels.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The tagline to the blockbuster movie, Jobs! :D

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The only (legal) way that I know of to do this is to buy and install the server version of OS X, then use Parallels or VM Ware to switch between OSs.

Edit: too late.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Bring up a terminal window and read the man page for the "chroot" command,

You don't say why you are looking to do this so I don't know if this will help. chroot will change the startup disk then run a command you specify. But the root directory is (of course) only changed for the chroot command itself of all child process.

The typical use of chroot is to run a server process in a "jail". That is a place where there is no access to large parts of the file system

I think what you rally may want is a virtual machine setup.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

From my understanding the answer is no.

Not without the help of (and I understand what your asking and I've seen situations where it would be used) virtual software as mentioned above. Meaning there will still be a "HOST" and a "GUEST" so it's not essentially what your wanting to do but would get the job done.

One application I can see is multiboxing WoW. 3 instances of OS X on the same machine, but the same can be done with better performance with just opening 3 instances of WoW but I was just giving a quick dirty example.

So I'm going with No as even in the Windows/Linux world I've never seen it happen without the help of a host/guest ie., virtual software solution.

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Just of interest: why would you want to do that?

8. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I think he/she don't want to tell us