OS X Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, May 14, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I really hate Windows Vista, I can't stand using it. It's why I installed Linux on my current laptop as it's much faster. And I wanted to try a commercial Unix OS and since my current laptop is getting old, I figured to get the new Macbook pro's with OS X. ( I still haven't bought it yet though, but will soon :) )

So I have been trying the new Macbook Pro's in the stores today, and it feels as slow as Windows Vista :confused: I expected OS X to be alot faster. I tried also the iMac 27 inch and I got beachballing all the time and the system became unresponsive more than once.

So what can I expect from OS X? Is it really slow? Especially when compared to Linux? Even Windows 7 running in Virtual box in Linux feels faster than OSX on an iMac i7 :confused:

2. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

How many applications were running on the store computers? Remember, unlike Windows the icons on the dock aren't just shortcuts, they're indicators as to what is actively running.

[With few exceptions,] the close button on Mac OS X does not quit the application like it does on Windows and Linux distros. It's the number one thing switchers (the majority of people demoing Macs in store) don't know about!

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i don't think store laptops should be a deciding factor when you buy one. there's like a million kids in there playing all these apps, if you're a newcomer to osx, you probably didn't notice that the apps these kids has been playing could possibly be running still when you were trying out the laptop. :p
    But this is just my defense for slow apple products! :D

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Next time restart the computer to get a "fresh" session. In general, people abuse those store computers, leave apps running, and install apps on them.

At the same time, OS X is not great at anything video related. I get better performance on my Mac on Windows 7 than I do from OS X, especially when it comes to HD playback, browser plugins, and Flash.

I rarely get beachballs on my Mac, but that's because I am running an SSD. The HDDs are going to see beachballs especially when there are multiple file transfers and many apps going. My experience has been great ever since I moved to an SSD. I also really appreciate the design and quality of my Macs, but I must say that I enjoy Windows more than OS X ever since Windows 7 came out and I installed it on my Mac.