OS X questions/wwan support

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by unloco96, Oct 19, 2010.

1. unloco96 macrumors newbie

1). Ok so I was given a G4 running 10.2.8 and would like to upgrade to 10.4. I have several of the grey disks (10.4 G5 disks) that are specific to other macs. I understand they shouldnt work (although I have not tried them). As I understand it I need the Black disks to upgrade correct?

2). The main reason I want to upgrade the OS is so that I can connect the G4 to the internet. I have a mobile broadband USB that I cant get to work on this mac. The newer macs are supposed to work with them automatically but the older ones require 10.4 or the WWAN Support Update 1.0 which doesnt include support for my usb model.

Is there any way to either upgrade the os system with the grey disks or a workaround to get my mac to accept the wwan? My dell laptop is on its last legs and I want to start using a real computer
    :apple:

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You can only use the grey discs that came with the exact same model as your Mac. They are used mostly for diagnostics or doing a clean install.

To upgrade you'll need to buy a OS X retail (black) disc. If you end up buying it, you might as well get 10.5 as long as it meets the system requirements.

If you haven't done yet, try searching the forums using MRoogle for the WWAN issue.