OS X Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vp911, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vp911 macrumors member

Sorry for the n00b questions.

1. If I have a Windows server on the Internet and create a shared folder. I assume I can mount it in OS X; however, my question is - will spotlight index all the files there? Stay indexed even when I disconnect so I can reconnect and do a quick search?

2. Will spaces work with an external display connected? I.e. I will have the MBP as my primary screen, but a ACD mounted on the wall with various information that I always have open. Can spaces have "one desktop" on the MBP screen and another desktop on the ACD screen?

3. With the BT mouse/keyboard, can I have both connected simultaneously? Or should I buy a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse?

4. Has anybody found any sort of accidental damage warranty for the MBPs yet? I haven't had a laptop without one for years - spilled coffee on one laptop and would hate to go without now.

5. I know OS X can connect to VPNs (i.e. PPTP); however, can I connect to multiple VPNs at the same time? We have three networks I'd like to connect to simultaneously so I don't have to swap around.

6. I don't imagine anybody has seen a way to print over the internet to my house printer? I wouldn't even know where to look to find a way to do that.

7. Fusion vs. Parallels - plenty of debates on this. Is there a clear victor in this category?

8. The base 15" MBP, can I safely connect a 23 or 30" ACD?

9. Time machine/capsule, whatever the software part is called (not the router/hard drive) - can it backup to a remote server (same concept as before, mounting a shared folder from a windows server) - backing up to there using the software?

Thank you all.

2. NicP macrumors 6502

2, 3 & 8 are yes

7 - I use parallels

9 is unsupported but there are hacks to make it work (haven't tried it myself though and I probably wouldn't trust it)

edit: can you clarify what you mean by this "Can spaces have "one desktop" on the MBP screen and another desktop on the ACD screen?"

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

6. Apple Remote Desktop
    7. Flip a coin
    8. Yes.

4. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

No computer at home. The printer is connected to my router so I can print wirelessly inside the house, just don't know about outside.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh. I won't say its not possible, but I have to think about that one. I would imagine if you port forward to a dynamic IP address for your printer this would be no problem at all (using a DynDNS domain would be even better). Then when you go to print from outside you just enter that IP in your printer dialog and go at it.
    I'd be willing to work more with you on this one if you want. IM sometime.

6. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you sir. I will do that when the MBP is here in the next couple days.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For (1), I think you have to do some tricks, unless this has changed in Tiger -- see this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050430233117572

And scroll down to one of the later replies about a SAMBA-served disk.

For (5), yes, I believe so:

http://www.maclive.net/sid/186

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What kind of printer is it exactly? I am testing out on my parents HP printer (they live about 300 miles away) and so far its looking good for getting the internet printing going.

9. vp911 thread starter macrumors member

Brother 7820N.

10. kostia macrumors regular

Yes, Spaces will work, but no, you cannot have one Space on one display and another Space on another display. Each Space consists of both displays, your entire work area. When you switch from one to another, both displays will change.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

To help explain this further heres a screeny of my Spaces setup with four spaces on two screens.

Screencapture 1.jpg
    [click for full size]