OS X quitting apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aditya_S, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I am a Windows user but I'm thinking of getting a Mac to do some iOS programming. I had some time to play with one, but I noticed when clicking the red button to close an app, it has a dot underneath the app in the dock. Right clicking it shows an option to quit it. In Windows, closing a Window or app completely closes the app. In OS X, do apps still run in the background after closing them until you quit it?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In general, if an app can support multiple windows, closing with the red X button only closes the active window (even if it is the only one open) and you have to "quit" the app
    If an app only supports 1 open window, clicking the red X button will close the app

3. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

O if an app supports multiple windows and I close it, then will it still run in the background or is it frozen like on iOS?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for all these questions, but if I'm using a MacBook, if it runs in the background, will it use up more battery and slow it down if I'm using another processor heavy application?

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

"Runs in the background" does not necessarily mean it is using CPU. For many apps once the last window is closed the operation system will automatically quit the app if the OS needs the resources. Theoretically, you should be able to just close the windows and not think about it. You might see a slight improvement in battery life if you meticulously quit everything. It is up to you if it is worth your time to do that.

A.

7. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Some apps are better than others in this regard. Well-written apps use very few resources when they're not actually doing something. Some apps even do support "app nap" just like phone apps. Poorly written apps will waste cycles busy-waiting.

In general, if you're not using it, and you don't expect to be using it anytime soon, you should probably quit it.

8. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

The kb article from Apple --
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18755?locale=en_US

9. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Such an app would be a disaster in today's world. I do not know of any app that does this - shades of MS-DOS...

A.

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

11. pedrom Suspended

The same people that are always closing OS X apps are the same people that are always removing apps from the app switcher, in iOS. It's an worthless and pointless procedure, since it will actually waste time and negate all of the modern tech that was built in to actually "multitask".

Also, learn how to read RAM when you use OS X. It's boring to have people constantly complaining about lack of "free" RAM. (basically: The graph pressure is green and swap is bellow one or 2 GB after a complete day? Then it's great!)

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

They may use some memory, but in most cases they don't use up any CPU cycles. Experiences may very of course, as described by others above.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

May be a bit different coming from Windows but most OS X apps aren't "quit" by closing the Window. Closing the window only closes the document or screen, to quit an app use Command+Q, or quit from the application's menu.

Later versions of OS X attempt to intelligently quit applications when needed if you just click the window close button; sometimes its nice to get rid of Windows when not required though and leave an app running a job in the background.

edit:
    any application written the in the past 5-10 years that burns cycles busy-waiting (without doing anything productive) is trash and should be abandoned. it's a killer for battery life.

14. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Fortunately, the app I'm thinking of is a client for a piece of enterprise software that most people will never have to deal with. It'll happily chew up 100% of a core core in the background if I leave it open, but I've got four of them and I never use it when I'm not plugged in.

15. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm one of the only people I see that doesn't remove apps from the app switcher because I know it doesn't use any resources in the background. Most people I see immediately remove the app from the app switcher after their done using I was just wondering if OS X was the same way

16. pedrom Suspended

To be fair, Apple could do a better job at informing users. Right? Most new iOS users are coming from Android, and because they have poor memory management, you HAVE to do it. On OS X you don't, at all. Same for iOS. (I have an Android phone and a Mac).

The only exception is an old app/rogue on all platforms.

17. Alrescha macrumors 68020

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes, OS X does/can automatically quit SOME applications. But pro-actively quitting stuff you don't need open reduces clutter on your dock (that's the main reason), and frees up RAM before OS X gets starved and has to do it. Yes, OS X will free stuff and shuffle things about as required, but if you KNOW you don't need something open, then closing it prevents the OS having to juggle things for you.

19. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Yes it consumes power until quit. Why people are saying they don't is surprising. Just look in activity monitor to see for yourself. Sure it might use less if it isn't your active app or has its document closed but it definitely still uses some. Look at google drive, Excel, chrome, Safari even!