OS X re-install still doesn't help with Startup - any ideas?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jek, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jek macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I have a 2009 intel based iMac running OS X 10.5.2 and it appears I have really jacked something up here.

Several Issues....

1. I have the original OS install disc, pop it in and hold down "C" and it STILL only goes to the flashing folder icon with the ? mark in it. Or sometimes it lets me get to the point to where I can run the disc utility, but none of that helps either because the only disc that shows up is the install disc itself.

2. Then I try to put the disc back in and reboot. Then we're typically back at #1 above. It's like I'm caught in some ridiculous loop, even if I tell it to boot from the install disc.

3. A few days ago I was able to do a complete Erase/Reinstall of OS X 10.5.2 (not Archive/Reinstall) thinking that a completley clean install would fix this situation. It worked fine at start up and I finally got to the desktop and was able to use it as usual. But, once I walked away for a while and came back, the Airport completely disappeared once I tried to wake it. - Back to square one.

Based on what I've read, I think the Startup Disc is trashed and perhaps I need to get DiscWarrior to rebuild the Startup Disc or the hard drive may be going out.

......am I way off here or does anyone concurr?

Thanks for your help!

2. Denarius, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Have you verified the disk in disk utility? Checked the SMART status in profiler? Tried resetting the PRAM (apple+alt+P+R)?

After that lot I'd be running the hardware diagnostics on the original install disc.

Edit: Rereading, if you're holding down C with the cd in the drive when you power up and still getting flashing question mark then that sounds like something more serious than the HDD. Try the PRAM reset if you haven't already and see how it goes.

2nd edit: Also forgot an SMC reset. Instructions here.

3. jek thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried the PRAM reset and the SMC rest. Both gave the same result = flashing file folder w/? mark.

4. jek thread starter macrumors newbie

For further verification, I am now able to use Disc Utility, however the Macintosh HD drive doesn't even show up, only the Optiarc DVD RW drive is the only thing that shows up. So I can even try to run a repair disc.

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Does the hardware not even show up in system profiler?

6. jek thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware does show up in System Profiler. It's just that the Disk Utility is not recognizing it.

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

When you reinstalled, presumably you reformatted first?

8. jek thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if I reformatted it first? I just went with what the disc said to do. I certainly didn't mess with any partitions or anything like that if that is what you mean.

This is driving me crazy.

9. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Insert the original DVD that came with the computer, restart/turn on while holding down the D key and run the extended diagnostic tests. See what it has to say. Be warned, the extended tests take ages to complete, especially if you have a lot of RAM.