OS X Reformat Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple?, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Apple? macrumors member

I just sold one of my macbooks and I'm looking for instructions on how to wipe clean the computer + reinstall the os (so the startup screen shows for the new buyer). However, I'd like to know if there is a way to do this where the software updates are already installed but the new buyer will have the startup screen?

Thanks!

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

This exact question was asked on "Ask TUAW" a few months back. Going back a few months at TUAW and searching their "Ask TUAW" posts could help.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you really want to have the updates applied, I'm not sure.

But if you want it new'ish, you'd just boot from the OS X DVD (hold C during boot) and then run the disk utility, format the drive, then install the OS.

They'll get the main welcome screen and then they can run the updater.

4. jp3105 macrumors newbie

Its good practice to choose one of the options when formatting the drive that wipes the drive several times over. Choose one of the options that writes patterns over the drive 3 or 7 times ( if super paranoid ). This takes longer obviously ( several hours in fact ).

I say this as its far too easy these days for people to take a HD and recover files. I have personally experienced this - sold an external HD to a friend - who then 2 days later presented me with a load of files that used to be on it , including personal documents , photographs etc. Luckily it was my friend and he just wanted to warn me about properly wiping a HD before selling it on.

Now I always take the time to do a 7 pass wipe ! You never know who will end up with that HD at some point in the future!

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Here is an article describing what you want to do.

Link: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007110800450816

Just do an erase and install of OS X Leopard. Then, install whatever software you want on there (i.e., iLife suite, etc.). Then, make sure to go through Software Update and ensure that all of the updates are installed. You may need to reboot and check Software Update again until it says no updates available.

Then, follow the instructions in the article above.

Good luck!