OS X reinstall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ox137, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Ox137 macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2011
    So i am trying to do a Factory Restore om my MBP. I have a OSX 10.6 install disc, but when i try to boot from the disc (using either 'C' or 'Option' while loading or from the Startup Disc menu) it just gives me the white apple load screen, the drive spins up for a min, and then it just sits quietly indefinitely ( i have waited about twenty min, but you cant hear anything happening)

Does anyone know what might be causing this or a workaround?
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hold Cmd-V while booting to put it in verbose mode, and see whether there's anything obvious in the log. Remember that the system can multitask so the problem may not be on the last line.
  3. MisterMe, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    In order to do a factory restore, you need your computer's System Restore disc. An "OS X 10.6 install disc" will not do the trick.
  4. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    What model MBP is this? If it's more recent than the version of 10.6 on the disk you have (like any of the 2011 models, as well as some of the 2010, even if you have the newest retail disk), then it won't be able to boot from that disk, and you'll often see exactly what you are describing.

5. Ox137 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2011
    My roomates disc wasent working, it was from an older generation, i see now that that does not work. I lost my disc, the one that came with it, but today i got a disc from my friend. My MBP is from spring 2010, she got hers just a couple months later, the only difference is hers is a 13" as opposed to my 15".
    Anyway when i boot to this disc the install menu comes up, i select a language, then it tells me that i cannot install OS X on this device...
  6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Yeah, they're pretty specific on what machines they'll work on. You'll need the restore disc for your machine. Since it's under warranty, Apple might ship you one for a small fee. 1-800-MY-APPLE.