OS X Reinstall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darkwax, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Darkwax macrumors newbie

Hi. Does anyone know how much space I would save by reinstalling OS X in my MBP without all the language packs, extra drives and extra programs (e.g. garage band)? Right now the machine out of the box, the OS is consuming around 30GB. Thanks.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Are you sure about that 30gb figure? That sounds very high to me.

Ditching languages saves you a little less than a gig, printers somewhere about the same, GarageBand a few gigs. There isn't much else that's preinstalled and easily expendable.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Depends which apps you decide to get rid of.

I did an "Erase & Install" on my MB. Saved close to 1GB from excluding languages, another almost 1GB from unnecessary printer drivers, and the only iLife app I kept was iTunes, I saved probably anywhere from 1-3GBs there (GarageBand loops and the templates in iMovie/ iDVD take up a ton of room).

Hope that helps.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I take it you have a new Mac. Don't bother reinstalling the OS until you have to ... it's just a waste of your time. Just delete what you don't want (it'll leave a few preferences files lying around, but to be honest, you won't notice the few MB they'll take up).

Apps themselves don't take up that much room. But GarageBand and iDVD support files are the biggest disk space users. You free up most by removing GarageBand and it's support files in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand and /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand.

You can remove the MS Office trial with its uninstaller.

You can remove the iWork Trial by deleting it.

You can delete printer drivers you won't use ... /Library/Printers

The largest remaining "waste of space" is multiple languages. Use Monolingual to remove unused languages - do not use it to strip out PPC architecture files.

I bought a Mac Mini recently that I use just as a media server. I removed all the iLife apps, GarageBand, printer drivers, trials etc, and it's using up 4.5GB. I could reduce it to about 3.5GB with a completely minimal install, but what's a media server without iTunes and Quicktime?

I'm guessing it's the perennial "I'm supposed to have a 160GB drive but there's only 130GB free, on a new Mac!" comment.

To the OP, usually, out of the box, 15GB is used up. The rest of the "missing" space is the difference between GB and GiB.

5. Darkwax thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have one of the new MBPs. So I guess it doesn't seem like doing a fresh install is worth it. I'll just uninstall/delete whatever i don't use.