OS X restore Without Original Disks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chocobavits, Jul 12, 2009.

1. chocobavits macrumors newbie

My computer HD failed and I cant start my macbook at all. The computer boots and shows a question mark on a folder and the HD clicks so I assume thats the problem. I'm getting ready to order a new one and I can't find my original install disks. Can I do a fresh install of the OS on a new HD with just the Leopard install disk? I have a set of Mac Pro install disks, but don't know if they will work (missing divers?). Anyone know?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think the Leopard discs that came with your mac pro should work. I believe all macs ship with a retail disc, so all the drivers should be present.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here is the support article

The Mac Pro discs will not work if they are the gray discs
    If you have a retail copy of Leopard it will work

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Listen to him. :rolleyes:

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If they are the discs that came with the mac pro when it was purchased then they will not work. They are gray and the mac pro ones would say "Mac pro Mac OSX Install Disc" Each different mac has a different set of install discs. If you bought a retail disc of leopard you could use that because it isn't specific to just one computer.

6. gasmatt macrumors newbie

Stuttering 13" MacBook & missing startup/Leopard discs

Last OS update to 10.5.8 has partially crippled my '07 MacBook 4,1, & it's like having a PC all over again. USB wireless internet won't load reliably, multiple blue/grey screens when booting, which takes 3+ attempts (-& no, I forgot to run Time Machine before installing the update).
    I lost the manuals & supplied discs in a house-move, & official replacements are 100gbp (~120usd), despite being 1st owner.
    Some poor guy had his 15.2" MacBook pro with Intel core duo stolen, & is offloading his start up/leopard discs on eBay.
    As the discs are grey in the photo, I guess I'm wasting my money buying them, as they won't run on my Mac?
    Diskwarrior is the same price as the replacement discs.
    What would you guys do?
    Thanks, Matt

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"My computer HD failed and I cant start my macbook at all. The computer boots and shows a question mark on a folder and the HD clicks so I assume thats the problem. I'm getting ready to order a new one and I can't find my original install disks. Can I do a fresh install of the OS on a new HD with just the Leopard install disk? I have a set of Mac Pro install disks, but don't know if they will work (missing divers?). Anyone know?"

Does it have an Intel processor?

Perhaps you could just pay $25 for a copy of Snow Leopard and do a fresh install that way...

Another alternative (not sure if this will work):
    Does the MacBook have firewire? (It would help if you told us EXACTLY which model you have).

If so, try starting it in "firewire target disk mode". Press the "t" key as soon as you push the start button and keep holding it down. You should end up with a firewire icon displayed on screen (and nothing else).

Now connect the firewire port on the MacBook to the MacPro (turned off) with a firewire cable.

Boot the MacPro from the system install DVD.

Go thru the procedure to do a clean installation of OS X - BUT - select the MacBook and NOT the MacPro to be the "target" of the installation.

As a matter of fact, I'm wondering if - once connected in this manner - you might try using Disk Utility on the MacPro install DVD to attempt a "repair" on the MacBook drive before doing an install "over it". Might just work...