OS X retail disc not booting up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mike31mets, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mike31mets macrumors member

For some odd reason my OS X 10.6.3 retail disc is not booting up when I startup my iMac (Mid 2010).

However the DVD can be read just fine by the computer when the OS is running. More importantly, if I try to use that same disc on another iMac (Mid 2010) to boot up, it works without issues.

If I try a System Restore disc (which didn't even come with my computer (OS X 10.6.4) the computer boots up the DVD just fine

So I'm just wondering, what gives? What can I do for my computer to recognize my OS X retail disc when booting up?

It does show up when I hold OPTION key. But after that there's no action in the DVD drive when selected.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How long have you waited? I've found that some retail discs take an inordinately long time to boot from.

3. mike31mets thread starter macrumors member

i went outside to get breakfast and all i saw was the gray/white screen with the apple logo but the little loading circle wasn't there. plus like i said, it worked on another machine so at the very least i waited long enough for it to work on another machine (which took about 4-5 minutes to boot)

4. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I've had to wait for about 8 mins before. just leave it booting for a while longer.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the 10.6.3 retail dvd likely will *not* boot on the mid-2010 iMac as the build of 10.6.3 is a bit older than the "custom" 10.6.3 build that shipped with the iMac.

As per http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3479:
    You can read the whole KB article but I think the quoted bits should answer the question....oh yeah!

6. mike31mets thread starter macrumors member

Duff-man, you are the man. Oh yea!!!

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq