OS X - Safe from browser-based keyloggers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smootling, Oct 14, 2008.

1. smootling macrumors member

Hello!

Sometime yesterday, I accidentally opened a link on a forum; according to many people on the forum, that link was a notorious keylogger. I know it's a dumb question, but using the latest version of firefox and with all OS X updates, am I safe? I did not download or run anything, I merely opened and viewed the website (some dumb javascript map). I wasn't even suspicious at the time, but now I am very paranoid. Your assurance would be greatly appreciated,

thank you for your time!

2. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

You are a darn sight safer in OS X right now (and as has been the case since 2001). Keyloggers do not currently target Macs - so you can rest assured. It'd need the Admin password to run EVEN if it did work on OS X.

However, if you were running on say, Windows XP with IE6, it'd be a whole different story:D.

But still, as a rule I practice safe and don't go clicking on crappy/dubious websites, or basically ask for trouble.

Here's a tip: For an additional layer of security I'd set up a seperate Admin account and change yours to a Standard User. That way, if there ever was an OS X virus, trojan or whatever, it could not obliterate as much of the system as it may be able to with an Admin account.

Also use good strong passwords and turn on the Firewall in security preferences, and where it says options, turn on Stealth Mode for reassurance ;).

Hope I was able to help. :)

PS Don't forget to ensure you are patched and up to date with fixes, by going to >Preferences>Software Update.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

There is no OS safe from everything. Nobody can say for certain whether you are at risk or not.

If you are really believe your data is at risk, I'd backup my data, blow it away, and restore.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are programs out there that you can get and run to see if there is a keylogger installed on your system. Google it. I've used one before and it worked great, and it was free.

If there is a keylogger discovered, you should be able to remove it without it's affecting your system at all. Your vulnerability would be in it's tracking your info and then emailing it to nasty people.:cool:

5. smootling thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks. Would "MacScan" or "clamXav" count as those types of programs? I've run both of them, and they came up clean.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yes, I looked at them, and they appear to check for keyloggers. My personal opinion is that you are safe. But I'm no expert, so I'm not making any promises.:cool: