Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I see many threads on how to change the language setting on this forum. But, I would like to ask this simple question as those threads did not touch this particular question specifically.
Is OS X basically same in any country Apple is selling through its established sales channel, except for the default language setting? Is there any difference in the OS X's coding based on the country Apple is selling Macs?
If OS X is same globally and if you keep all the languages preloaded in OS X, you can install any Mac apps (by Apple and other software vendors) even if the software's menu and interface is written in the language of that particular country. Or, am I wrong on this?

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Yes, OS X is the same for all languages, and the default is pre-selected depending on where you buy the computer.

In your International settings, there's a prioritized list of languages. When you launch an application, OS X goes through that list and picks the first language available. For example, if your language preferences are French -> English -> Spanish, the system and any apps with French localization will be in French. An app that only has, for example, English and Spanish available, will display in English.

Web browsers are also supposed to use this information in their request headers. Web sites may feed you custom or localized content depending on what languages your browser says you prefer.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Often that's done by IP rather than by browser/system settings.

Yes, which can be annoying if you prefer to see a language other than the local one. Websites should go by your browser language preferences, but I don't suppose this is set up reliably on many or most Windows machines.

BilltheCat

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Sanford FL
European versions of OSX dont have the NORAD targeting system window. US citizens and some GB types can watch as the Pentagon plays war games showing nuke simulations on various parts of Europe and Arabia!

/joke!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.