OS X Screenshot - Cant fix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carlosbutler, Dec 1, 2009.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I have been looking around MR and on google and cant seem to find anyone with this problem. My screenshots, instead of having a shadow, has a thick black line round it.

[​IMG]

If anyone has had this problem, and fixed it please let me know its really annoying me. For some reason it's happening on both my MBP and iMac.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know the answer to your query, but I use little snapper instead. It provides more features and flexibility then the out of the box screen capture function. Perhaps that will work for you as well.

3. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

hmm i will have a look at that. although i wish the default apple one would work properly.:rolleyes:

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

How are you capturing screen shots? The default should record out as a PNG. The image you are showing is a JPEG - JPEG cannot contain a transparent layer that is required for the shadows. Does it show up as black in the default png?

5. arilev macrumors member

arilev

Capturing jpeg screenshots worked fine up through 10.6.1. This is a bug that was introduced in 10.6.2 specific to capturing screenshots in jpeg format. I know a number of people have informed Apple about it and hopefully it will be fixed in 10.6.3. In the meantime as mrkgoo says above the default format is png and that still works no problem.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

Yeah, note that the black matches the shadow around active windows.

7. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Ahh right I completely forgot that I had changed the type to jpg. PNG works fine now, dont really remember why I had changed it to jpg.

Cheers

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Size maybe. jpg uses less space generally speaking