OS X Server 10.6.1 Hangs on Boot

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mstratmann, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mstratmann macrumors newbie

Before I throw this OS X Server through the window, please help!

I rebooted the server machine (the new mac mini server model), and it now hangs on startup at the apple screen with what I like to call "The Pinwheel of Death" ... it never actually gets to so much as the login screen, it hangs at the main apple screen :(

Any suggestions?????

2. mstratmann thread starter macrumors newbie

cmd-v startup response

a little more on the issue:

if I cmd-v startup, it hangs and repeats: ct 30 15:58:32 c-68-42-###-## com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[47]): posix_spawn("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory

(the # is an actual number, and the [47] is jumping one at a time as well)

3. HBeagley macrumors newbie

Try Restoring Using The Restore DVD via a USB DVD Drive

Hi There,
    You could attach a USB DVD Drive to the Mac Mini and Re-Install the OS as there could be as you pointed out a file/folder not being found or if you have a retail copy of Mac OS X Server you could try it that way.

If not you could get a Apple Genius to take a look at it.

Yours Truly
    HBeagley

4. mikeb07087 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have a mac mini with 10.6 server also
    I am getting similar problem

Command v gives the repeating message
    computername com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[xx]): posix_spawn("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory

with xx incrementing at each message (repeating every 10 seconds)

Hopefully since it is now January and your problem was in October, you have figured it out!!

Please let me in on what to do!!
    I dont want to reload the software yet again!!!

Thanks,
    Mike
    :confused:

5. mcprobie macrumors member

mcprobie

Did you try the solution in this Post ??

6. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I had this problem.

1.Reboot, hold down the Apple + S keys to get to single user mode. wait until you get to a prompt that says root#

2. above the prompt, there may be a message saying something like "if you need to modify files do this:" then underneath there is a couple commands that look like "/sbin/somethinghere" type in the bottom one. If you have no idea what I mean, then go on to the next step

3. at the root# prompt, type in "chmod 775 /" without the quotes and hit enter. If it brings you back to the prompt without any errors, then type "reboot" without quotes and hit enter. It should be fixed.

If it does error, to back to #2 and try and decipher what I mean. I can't remember the actual commands, as I don't have the single user prompt in front of me.

Edit: this post has more detailed instructions: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8637931&postcount=6

7. smudo78 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Had the same problem. Thank you so much!