OS X Server Caching Service Issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by DJLC, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Having an odd issue with Yosemite Server's Caching service. When I enable it in Server.app, it says "There was an error communicating with the remote content server."

In Console, I see the error comes down to...
    Code:
    9/24/15 11:46:56.123 AM AssetCache[56444]: Request for registration from https://lcdn-registration.apple.com/lcdn/register failed: HTTP response 400, body "INVALID_DEVICE"
    I unfortunately am tunneling all internet connections through zScaler cloud security. However, *.apple.com has been whitelisted and is exempt from authentication and SSL inspection. So it shouldn't interfere unless Apple doesn't like zScaler's public IP address.

I found a semi-related thread on MR, and the solution was to set the caching service's interface from Terminal. I did try that by running "sudo serveradmin settings caching:Interface = bond0," but no dice. :(

Any other suggestions?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's possible that this is the issue: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200231
    Alternatively it's something that Zscaler is breaking.

3. DJLC thread starter macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Thanks! Will give this a shot once everyone leaves for the day.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was zScaler though... I swear it causes more problems than it solves.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

I'd bank on that being the problem, personally. You aren't running the caching server in a virtual machine, or a Mac that doesn't show a valid serial # in "About this Mac", are you?

5. DJLC thread starter macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Nope -- it's a 2009 Xserve. I'm honestly surprised Profile Manager is working thru zScaler; I was hoping to be as lucky with Caching...