OS X shortcuts for a Windows power user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexmsft, Aug 28, 2012.

1. alexmsft, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

alexmsft macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I've recently switched over to a MacBook Air (running Mountain Lion) from Windows and for the most part I've got the hang of the keyboard shortcuts but there are a few I haven't found yet. Can anyone point out what these are in OS X?

• In Safari, complete the url I type (i.e. add '.com' to the end and go). In Windows this is usually Control+Enter.
    • Maximize a Window. Windows + Up in Windows.
    • Navigate back in Safari. In Windows, this is Backspace.
    • Navigate up or back in Finder. In Windows Explorer that's Alt + Up, Alt + Left Arrow

Thanks guys! Loving the experience so far! :D

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

You can either use Command+[ and Command+] to navigate back and forward, or gestures on your trackpad. I don't have a trackpad, but I think it is a two-fingered swipe left and right (check the trackpad system preferences for the gesture to use).

Same keys or gestures to move back and forward in Finder as in Safari. To go up a folder level, use Command+up arrow.

Also, refer to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

3. alexmsft thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, thanks smirk for those. Looks like that list doesn't have one though for maximizing a window or for the Safari .com auto-complete.
    The .com auto-complete is probably the more important one, I realize most people just search for sites instead of entering actual URLs, but I prefer skipping the search engine when I know the URL.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Simply omit the ".com" then. I don't think I've actually typed ".com" into the address-bar in years.

Examples I just tried, that all worked without typing ".com":
    macrumors
    google
    example
    macintouch
    arstechnica
    apple
    amazon

And the last time I used a Windows browser, I didn't type ".com" either.

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Yep, same here -- I can't remember the last time I typed in ".com" on a URL in Safari. Safari automatically adds the ".com" if needed. However, if you use OpenDNS as your DNS server then I think this no longer works and you'll have to key in the ".com".

6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Maximize window is control-command-f

7. alexmsft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, for me, typing a URL and hitting enter in the Safari combined Search+Address bar just does goes to the search engine, unless I've already visited the site once, in which case it might automatically choose the right url from the drop down. I tried all the urls you mentioned with the same result. This behavior isn't what I'm looking for. I don't want to go the search engine at all, I want to explicitly type the name of the url and hit some key combination to have it automatically add the .com to it (and nothing else. just .com) and go.
    I use this all the time in Windows (Ctrl+Enter), it lets me save time by skipping the search engine when I already know where I want to go and also saves me from typing .com every time.
    Looks like this might not be possible in this version of Safari. I know it was possible in the previous version by hitting Ctrl+Enter or Command+Enter or some such combination.