OS X shows I have 2 VLC Players. What the?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Jul 22, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

When I right-click a movie file, at the "open with" option, I get several applications. VLC is listed twice, and both appear to work. Why is that?

At the applications folder, I only have 1 VLC. Its probably due to an upadte version, but how do I correct this?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Usually duplicate entries in "open with" is due to an error in OS X launch services.

Open Terminal app and run the below command to rebuild launch services and that should fix it.

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

4. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Thanks for the reply, but I have to admit that looks pretty scary to me, almost as if I'm triggering a time bomb on my Mac. I will try it as soon as I make a complete backup.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I hear you. :D Full backup is always a good idea.

If you Google "rebuild launch services in Lion" you will find other discussions on this and the Terminal command I gave you mentioned.

If you want, you can also install Onyx and it has an option to rebuild launch services... but all that is really doing is running the same command for you.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Dear God! Springfield, you're operating without a T-437!!! :eek:

If you're not running Time Machine continually, or using some other automated backup strategy, you are going to lose your files. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon: and for the rest of your life.

Also, if you're running a different version of the OS, the command needed to rebuild the LaunchServices database may be different.

7. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Thanks for the concern, but I actually run 2 backup strategies full time. What I meant is that I was manually going to make a complete time machine backup instead of waiting for it next scheduled backup.

As a matter of fact, Im running Snow Leopard, but I decided not to make this relaunch service a this time. Having two VLC options does not really bug me, and everything is working fine.

We have a saying in Brasil: "if you are winning the match, dont change any player"