OS X size after install on Late 2015 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ivanwi11iams, May 28, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Any idea how large the OS X install is on an iMac Late 2015? Trying to determine if the 1TB fusion and a few small apps would be sufficient.
    EVen more so since the SSD is only 24GB.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check the sizes of Applications, Library and System folders in your root directory. For me Library and System combined are about 14GB, with Applications taking another 14GB. This is a 2016 MacBook with relatively few third party apps installed.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OS X won't fill up the 24GB of the flash storage with the system and apps, it will keep a lot of the stuff on the hard drive. Many people have stated that they're finding their 1TB Fusion drive to be fairly fast. Personally, I'd opt for either a SSD or the 2TB Fusion drive.

I have the 2TB fusion drive and I find that to be a good balance of flash storage and the slow hard drive

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I created a 10.11 "basic install" on a USB flash drive, with a "bare bones" account on it (so I can boot and log into the finder).

It has only the Apple "basic install" apps on it.
    The only third-party app is CarbonCopyCloner so that I can boot from it, and then it will "replicate itself" to another drive.

It takes up about 11.7gb of space.