os x slow after boot camp setup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xiao, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Xiao macrumors newbie

Just installed windows on boot camp partition, i gave it 200GB.
    Before I installed windows, os x booted in 30 seconds now it takes over a minute to boot. Any ideas that could help os x boot as fast as before?

installed windows 7 64bit
    I use os x snow leopard
    I have imac 27" i5 1TB HDD

Also searched in google, not much info on this...
    I tried resetting pram, zeroed out HD and reinstalled everything again, its always after i installed windows that os x boots slow, also did safe boot, none helped...

Windows 7 also boots very very slow....most of time its spent on black screen with the little "|" or "__" on top left corner.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Maybe its taking a while to figure out how many partitions there is? I never saw a decrease in speed after setting up Boot Camp and I've been doing them since it came out.

The Windows 7 slow is because you most likely pirated Windows 7. That's mostly the only time the "_" wait shows up. It's trying to load a boot loader.

If you didn't pirate Windows 7, then I apologize for making that accusation.

3. Xiao thread starter macrumors newbie

haha yeah I got it from a friend, maybe that's also the reason it causes OS X to slow down? I wanted to play some mmo games and thought vmfusion would do the job, it didn't....so I started boot camp, games can play at highest setting but os x slowed down....thinking of zeroing out the drive and reinstall ox x only... btw vmfusion did not return my rebate....oh wells, only $50 rebate....:(

~Thanks for the info ayeying

4. deraj090 macrumors regular

a little off topic, but where can I download bootcamp 3.1 for Mac-osx, so I can install Windows 7?

Thanks!

5. Xiao thread starter macrumors newbie

Bootcamp is still 3.0 on os x
    (it only makes a partition and set startup disk as windows installtion cd)
    After you install windows 7, install boot camp from os x setup cd, then run apple software update. it will then update it to 3.1

basically 3.1 is only for windows side

6. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Hmm I have the same issue on new 2010 MP, it used to boot in no time, now when you turn it on all screens stay black, then you hear the boot tune and then the apple logo appears that whole process takes about 30 seconds, when before bootcamp (legit windows 7) I would have been in OSX already.

After the boot everything works super fast, and given that my system is always on its not a big deal, just annoying when switching between OSes.

7. Xiao thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I found fix already for me tho, not sure if it will work for you. I boot into os x cd and format the drive, then i create two partitions, one for os x and one for windows ahead of time, oh make sure the one for windows is FAT. you don't need to install through bootcamp assistant just boot into windows cd and format the partition, install.

It's just installing windows without bootcamp assistant. This way you tell the drive to prepare ahead of time which prevents os x from reconstructing it's self for windows partition.

Oh if your windows boot very slow which stay on a black screen for long time, i got fix for that too

~~~Just a question for SKIFFX, your mac pro looks very fast and powerful, what do you use it for, to need something that powerful?

8. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I need it for my work, bot windows and osx.

Can you explain in more detail how your setup works now, you still get to choose what to boot if you hold down 'option/alt' key? And what was the solution for black screen? Thank in advance.

9. Xiao thread starter macrumors newbie

Boot camp assistant just makes a partition for you, the rest is up to you
    So! instead of using that, you can make a partition ahead of time. (which is before you install os x) It's same setup as using bootcamp assistant except after you install os x, you can boot into windows install cd and just install it.

1. Boot into os x install cd
    2. open disk utility
    a. erase your drive Format:[Mac OS Extended (Journaled)]
    *don't forget to name the drive, I use Machintosh HD*
    b. partition drive- press "+" and fill the volume info.
    Name: BOOTCAMP
    Format: FAT
    Size: ###GB
    c. Press apply, you should have a Machintosh HD partition
    and a BOOTCAMP partition
    3. Install osx onto Machintosh HD obviously
    4. after install and booted into os x, Put in windows install cd
    5. go to system preferences
    a. System>start up>Windows install CD
    b. Restart (button on same window)
    6. now it will be like bootcamp assistant booting into windows install cd so you should know what to do.
    7. change startup to os x (step 5.)

*Everything will work the same way as before, but should or "might" solve the slow os x boot problem*

Black screen only comes when your booting into windows, the part where you see this "_" line on top left of screen, it's after the boot tune and white screen. If you got that problem, then i have a little software, for windows, that will fix it.

Hope it helps!
    ~Xiao

10. flux117 macrumors newbie

I'm also experiencing this problem on my Macbook pro. I have allocated a 40gb partition to a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and now when I start up OSX takes about four times longer to boot (12-14 turns of the progress bar rather then the previous 3). The elements on the desktop now also take longer and load whereas before the menu bar wallpaper etc all loaded instantly.

If anyone could shed light on this problem it would be appreciated.

11. jxel macrumors newbie

hi, can you let me know what your software fix is? i have that hanging at the windows load screen also... just a dash flashing for 30+ secs

would be much appreciated

12. skiffx macrumors 6502a

13. ninjoblio macrumors newbie

I've been having this problem too. Mac OSX is fine and speedy until I install win7 using Bootcamp. I'm troubleshooting my way through this and am probably about to start my third installation.

The first time I installed win7, I ran a bunch of updates and other stuff, then noticed the slow down when I came back to Mac OSX. I removed bootcamp and everything was fine again in Mac OSX.

Second install I created the bootcamp partition (using the Bootcamp assistant) then stopped and rebooted before continuing with the Win7 install. I was able to confirm that the creation of the partition wasn't slowing down Mac OSX. I went ahead and installed Win7 and the bootcamp drivers. Came back into Mac OSX and everything was still fine and speedy.

It was when I then installed ALL the available updates shown in Windows Update that I started getting a slow down again in Mac OSX. I wiped that install of bootcamp.

I'm going to try this again, but maybe just install the 'important' updates and forego the option stuff and see what happens. If this doesn't work, I might just take it into the Genius Bar nearby and see what they have to say about it.

14. ninjoblio macrumors newbie

Also, in regards to my first post, here are some of the things I did in Mac OSX to try and resolve this slow down before opting to reinstall Bootcamp:

- Boot to the Mac OSX Install disc and run a disc repair on the Mac OSX partition
    - PRAM reset
    - Do a Safeboot into Mac OSX and then restart
    - Tried uninstalling all the Windows programs I had installed (maybe they wrote to somewhere that it wasn't supposed to) Removed all the Windows Updates that I could.
    - Tried reinstalling a few of the obviously slow programs in Mac OSX (Google QSB and things like)

None of these helped, but thought I'd let ya know what I had already done.