OS X slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zeiter, Aug 4, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I have a macbook pro 2.4ghz with Peryn, early 2008(before unibody :( )...anyways, OS Leopard is so slow now, it freezes everytime I want to do something, plus when I hook my laptop to a monitor, it just freezes even more. Is it because my video card is defective? I know my generation of mbp has defective nvidia cards. I only have like 100gb used of my 2gb...of course I only have 2GB memory but normally, I only use 800-900MB max. I do safari, amsn and itunes, that's about it.

It sux because I like to hook it up to a nice monitor, but then again, it freezes and becomes so slow...

I tried to format my hard drive without losing anything, with the keep your music, photos option, but it hasn't solved anything really...maybe I should start thinking of a full format ...erase everything?

thanks a lot

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Have you ever run software maintenance on that Mac? Download either Onyx (free) or Yasu (shareware with trial) and run all the cleaning routines. Let the program reboot your Mac. Upon the software rebooting the Mac manually reboot again to completely rebuild your startup/shutdown system cache.

This kind of "cleaning" IMHO should be done about once every three months to keep your OS X system running lean and almost like new.

This should help with the slowing you have.

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Check your log in items and delete everything you don't want because any programs here will run in the background.

Also, try Applejack. It's just been updated and isn't as scary as it looks.

Get here: http://applejack.sourceforge.net/#top

Download then Install.

Then boot holding down command and S keys at startup and then type 'applejack auto' and let it do its stuff.

Machine may run slow for a while after as caches are built up. But it's good and it's free.

More here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10334620-263.html?tag=mfiredir

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You can't format your hard drive w/o losing the data on it. Format=erase. Also, could you please type better. Use the word sucks instead of sux.

:confused::confused:

Your MacBook Pro probably has 2GB of RAM (memory) and 200GB of Hard disk space. The memory a.k.a RAM just stores some info when the computer is powered on, and is erased when the computer is turned off. You should back up only important files, and wipe the hard drive clean, and install Snow Leopard. The install all of your Apps again.