Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the release of the OS X Snow Leopard Build 10A394 developer seed late last week, users have been digging through the new version looking for and documenting changes and additions.

The introduction of QuickTime X in Snow Leopard brings a streamlined interface lacking some of the functionality found in QuickTime 7. It has been reported that earlier Snow Leopard builds would prompt the user to install QuickTime 7 and automatically do so upon command when attempting to open a file supported only by QuickTime 7. The QuickTime 7 functionality, however, was reportedly incomplete in earlier builds. Build 10A394 now permits full installation of QuickTime 7 in this manner and offers the full suite of QuickTime 7 Pro features that currently require a separate paid license on Leopard and Tiger.

Article Link: OS X Snow Leopard Tidbits: WWAN Card Support Built-In, QuickTime 7 Installation

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I thought once installed it would open the file you were trying to open in Quicktime X. That would be a slicker way of handling it. The “Do you want to open the movie in Quicktime player ??” message maybe suggests a final update coming.

haha, what's up with the music in that video.

I think it's a new internet meme - Snow Leopard videos require a euro techno soundtrack.

Is QT 7 following the fate of iMovie 6?
In that it is being phased out for a newer, and ultimately better version?

iMovie '06 -> iMovie '08 (iMovie '06 offered concurrently)
iMovie '09 (better than both)

Quicktime 7 Player -> Quicktime X Player (Quicktime 7 Player offered concurrently)
Quicktime X Player 2 (better than both, possibly)

Both iMovie (the very first iApp) and especially Quicktime were probably in need of a rewrite. Remember - we can't see the code. We have no idea how hard it would be to add the kind of features Apple wants to add in the future to the existing codebases of either app.

Think Finder as well — rewritten from scratch. Why would Apple do that? Maybe because the kind of features Apple wants to add in the future wouldn't be easy to add to the codebase of the Leopard Finder. Of course you can't run two Finders simultaneously, so they just kept the UI and feature set pretty much the same.

Personally I think Apple's being really smart. I like this approach better than keeping hacking on functionality to already bloated, complex software. I think a bit of patience may result in rich rewards later. Software is a process, it's not like a book. It is never done. Yet sometimes there comes a time to step back and take stock.

I hope the same due dilligence is take with iTunes. I'd gladly forgoe a few features to have a really responsive, nicely polished Mac app. It beachballs way more than almost all Apple apps (and most third party apps) on my system.

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I thought once installed it would open the file you were trying to open in Quicktime X. That would be a slicker way of handling it. The “Do you want to open the movie in Quicktime player ??” message maybe suggests a final update coming.
I expect so, it threw me a little bit.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Anyone know if MPEG2 support will still be a paid add-on in Snow Leopard?

I'm assuming it will, but it would be nice if it was included :)

infodriveway

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington, US
I suspected that this has been addressed before (and thanks to MRoogle), I now know it's not news to anyone here, but I wanted to share what I just posted on the comments for the YouTube video (in case it's pulled down).

"This is neat. When one opens a PPC app in Snow Leopard (and they haven't installed Rosetta yet) Software Update offers to download and install Rosetta.

This is very slick, and I look forward to Apple slimming down installs more, and letting users get components as needed."

There you go, now use MRoogle! :)

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
There's also a new iPhone option in the Network Prefs Pane for tethering.

Attachments

• Screenshot on 2009-06-30 at 2.16.27 PM.png
    Screenshot on 2009-06-30 at 2.16.27 PM.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 293

radiogorillaz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
music!!!

So half-way through the vid I had to jump up from my desk and do hand swirlies and bob my head to the music and while i was doing that I missed the significance of what they were showing and why it mattered.

my bad :(

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Seems like a lot of work for Apple to create this new on demand installer when they could just presumably add the functionality to Quicktime X.

I didn't know there was that much functionality in QuickTime that there was much to take out! What types of video formats can it now not handle?

Also anyone who has the SL preview, does QuickTime video recording using iSight use the GPU and not raise the fans to ridiculously high levels and high CPU temperatures on MacBooks now?

Wkaemena

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
everywhere
QTVR under QT10

Most important would be to support the QTVR format even so the developers are running to Flash panoramas. There is a lot still outside which should run under 10 in the final version. Now it runs only "sometimes" but not in the player:mad:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Seems like a lot of work for Apple to create this new on demand installer when they could just presumably add the functionality to Quicktime X.

I didn't know there was that much functionality in QuickTime that there was much to take out! What types of video formats can it now not handle?

Also anyone who has the SL preview, does QuickTime video recording using iSight use the GPU and not raise the fans to ridiculously high levels and high CPU temperatures on MacBooks now?
QuickTime Pro was quite a powerful application. Just to give you some idea on it's feature set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCOmWjn7m-Q

QuickTime Pro also offered a lot of codecs that cost apple licensing fees. Rather than add to the cost of OS X, they made a pro version of QuickTime and charged to upgrade. Most of these nobody uses anymore and have been surpassed in favour of H.264.

It's better for Apple to offer QuickTime 7 and X concurrently, rather than delay QuickTime X for 2 years until they can complete the feature set, many of which few people use.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

I think it's a new internet meme - Snow Leopard videos require a euro techno soundtrack.

In that it is being phased out for a newer, and ultimately better version?

iMovie '06 -> iMovie '08 (iMovie '06 offered concurrently)
iMovie '09 (better than both)

Quicktime 7 Player -> Quicktime X Player (Quicktime 7 Player offered concurrently)
Quicktime X Player 2 (better than both, possibly)

Both iMovie (the very first iApp) and especially Quicktime were probably in need of a rewrite. Remember - we can't see the code. We have no idea how hard it would be to add the kind of features Apple wants to add in the future to the existing codebases of either app.

Think Finder as well — rewritten from scratch. Why would Apple do that? Maybe because the kind of features Apple wants to add in the future wouldn't be easy to add to the codebase of the Leopard Finder. Of course you can't run two Finders simultaneously, so they just kept the UI and feature set pretty much the same.

Personally I think Apple's being really smart. I like this approach better than keeping hacking on functionality to already bloated, complex software. I think a bit of patience may result in rich rewards later. Software is a process, it's not like a book. It is never done. Yet sometimes there comes a time to step back and take stock.

I hope the same due dilligence is take with iTunes. I'd gladly forgoe a few features to have a really responsive, nicely polished Mac app. It beachballs way more than almost all Apple apps (and most third party apps) on my system.

All apps are being rewritten to fully leverage two finally modernized [read: no longer crippled for Carbon's sake] versions of Foundation Kit and AppKit.

Everyone will note the changes after Snow Leopard has arrived with the updates to the Reference Library:

https://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/Cocoa/index.html

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009

Think Finder as well — rewritten from scratch. Why would Apple do that? Maybe because the kind of features Apple wants to add in the future wouldn't be easy to add to the codebase of the Leopard Finder

Unless Apple is dropping Quicktime for Windows, Quicktime is different from the iApps in that it is "portable" across platforms. They probably are in need of refactor to support Vista/Win7 and Mac OS X 10.5/10.6 than the notion of the Finder rewrite.

iTunes is layered on Quicktime so can't see how Quicktime X stays Mac OS X only.

The veneer that is the GUI on top of Quicktime player/pro may be what has been changed more so than Quicktime itself.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Is QT 7 following the fate of iMovie 6?

I hope not because QuickTime Pro was extremely useful. I just don't get why  would cripple features of QuickTime X. This was a great and useful product. Besides the interface and maybe playback efficiency, QuickTime looks as if it took a step backwards.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002

Since the release of the OS X Snow Leopard Build 10A394 developer seed late last week, users have been digging through the new version looking for and documenting changes and additions...

Article Link: OS X Snow Leopard Tidbits: WWAN Card Support Built-In, QuickTime 7 Installation

The article link still references the pulled information:

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/3...rd-support-built-in-quicktime-7-installation/

Why was this (the portion about WWAN compatibility built in to the OS) cut from the article, this was the most interesting piece of info about SL I've seen yet. Apple legal contact you guys?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Unless Apple is dropping Quicktime for Windows, Quicktime is different from the iApps in that it is "portable" across platforms. They probably are in need of refactor to support Vista/Win7 and Mac OS X 10.5/10.6 than the notion of the Finder rewrite.
Apple probably apply similar methodologies across all the software they develop, regardless of whether it is cross platform or Mac only - This is why I was drawing the comparison between the approach with iMovie (where the previous (feature rich) version was offered alongside the new (cleaner) version) and Quicktime.

iTunes is layered on Quicktime so can't see how Quicktime X stays Mac OS X only.
I would be surprised if Apple doesn't have internal Quicktime X builds for Windows, there is just no need to release them. That's because whilst Quicktime on the Mac is needed for iLife, iWork, Pro Apps etc. Quicktime on Windows is only really needed for iTunes. So there's no need to say or do anything until a version of iTunes based on Quicktime X is available. When does Apple announce new versions of iTunes… September. When will Mac OS X Snow Leopard officialy ship… Septemebr. There's no reason at all why they won't do a simultaneous cross platform release.

I suspect at the media event in September we will see 64 bit Quicktime X for Windows, alongside a new iTunes for Mac and Windows which is based upon Quicktime X. If not in September then soon after.

The veneer that is the GUI on top of Quicktime player/pro may be what has been changed more so than Quicktime itself.
This far from the case, both from what I have read and been told. Quicktime X is a under the hood overhaul.

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
This is kinda off-topic, but would anyone happen to have the 20th century voyage screensaver shown in the video? The file is MIA on the developer's site.
:D

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
QT Pro included? Not bad-even thought ive never figured out what it does better than the basic
adding QT MPEG 2 would be really nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.