OS X Software updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macguywannabe, May 6, 2011.

1. macguywannabe macrumors newbie

I am a novice with computers in general, but mac especially. I have an imac running OS X 10.6.4 and a macbook pro running 10.4.11. I am interested in updating the macbook. Can someone please give me the low down on these operating systems, and the best/economical way to update my macbook?? Do I really need to do this yet? Or is the 10.4.11 still a functional option for most things?? I also have a copy of parallels software. What do I gain by using this program? Is it worth the install, or are there currently better options? Thanks for any help, and please try to 'dumb down' the responses so that I will be able to understand :D. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

The 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD will work with that MacBook, no need for the Box Set (use MRoogle to find countless of threads about using the Upgrade DVD for 10.4 Intel Macs).
    As to what system is better for you, we need to know what you exactly do with your Macs.

Again, it depends on your uses, but many fare well with Tiger and Leopard.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac
    In short, Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion enable you to run Windows inside Mac OS X.