OS X, Speech and Hotkey problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Peter W., Jul 16, 2008.

1. Peter W. macrumors newbie

I've had this macbook for 6 months or so, and it has been perfect. Its the standard one.

However, yesterday, I have an problem with the hotkeys being rearranged, (eg, before, to get the function of Dashboard, it was F4, now its F12). I cannot set to default hot keys, because it claims that the messed up ones are the defaults.

While, annoyingly, Apple Speech is prominately place as On. It reads out the name of any program I click, whatever I type in.

How do I sort these problems out, and how can I avoid them happening again?

Thanks,

Pete.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not sure about the keyboard layouts on macbooks but on the spare MBP i sometimes use the hotkey for dashboard is F12 so maybe it's defaulted back to the default

As for the speech have you tried looking in system prefs > system > universal access, to see if voice over is switched on ??

3. ihabime macrumors 6502

Try going to the keyboard & mouse preferences and hitting the change keyboard type button, it sounds like your macbook is confused over what keyboard you have.

Also, under Expose & Spaces at the bottom, isn't there a drop down list of F-keys for invoking dashboard?