OS X Startup Disk on a USB, is it possible to backup it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Feb 2, 2016.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I have Snow Leopard installed on a USB drive in case something wrong happens during boot up of my mac mini, I can boot and work/get the files. Recently, this usb startup drive stoped working and I had to install OS X on it and update it all over again.

So Im wondering, is it possible to make a backup of this startup usb disk on the cloud? I know I could have stored 2 diferent USB drives, but I would like the option of having it in the cloud and download to a new usb drive when needed.

I know simply draging and copying the files wont work. What do I need to do? Crete an image? an Iso or DMG? I dont know what this things are or how to create them, so I would apreciate the knowledge. And more over, Once I redownload the file, how do I move over to the new USB? Is it using Disk Utility Restore?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Easiest solution would be to:
    1. Create a new bootable flash drive, then,
    2. Get a SECOND flash drive, then,
    3. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of the first flash drive to the second one.

Then just keep the second copy in a safe place.
    No "fooling with the cloud" in a "moment of need"...

3. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I agree with Fishrrman, cloning your drive is easiest solution.

You don't want to open the can of worms that is cloud + startup drive...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just use Disk Utility to crate a DMG of the USB key following the first part of this. Then you can save that DMG somewhere and use it with Disk Utility to restore that DMG to a new, blank USB key if you want.